Hello my fellow slab seekers !

I have some good news : mark these dates on your calender -- May 10th
thru May 17th should prove to be a "speck" - tacular fishing period, according to the Solar-Lunar charts.
This period includes the three days prior to and preceding the full moon phase of the month of May, along with strong indications of favorable gravitational pull within the Earth's atmosphere.

If most of the other meteorological conditions are also favorable during this period, we should experience optimal, high-level feeding activities from all fish and game species.
If the barometer remains relatively stable, and winds keep rather mild --
in the 10 to 15 mph range, we should be in great shape.

And -- so far -- a LOT of these conditions appear to be (or will be) favorable and condusive to great fishing !
Some of thes conditions, like high amounts of predicted rainfall, and seasonable temperatures, indicate a strong and positive outlook to the overall angling picture approaching in the May 10th to 17th time period.

In a nutshell, all conditions are shaping up nicely, and a very productive angling period is highly likely for this second and third week of May.

To target staging crappie during this period, depending on the body of water, the water temperature, and wind speed, you'll fare well by throwing search-type lures -- like 1/8 oz to 3/16 oz. Blakemore Roadrunners in black, white or shad colors ..... also, 1/8 oz. Yum Wooly Beavertails in chartreuse and black, red and white, or pink and black .... and 2 to 2 & 1/2
inch shallow to medium running plugs, like Fat-Free Shads, Fire-tigers, and
Bombers in shad-colored patterns of black, silver and white.

When you find a concentration of crappie, anchor quietly, and switch over to 1 &1/2 inch umbrella jigs in black, motor oil, and chartreuse and black, 3 inch (yes -- big slabs will pound this size !) Yum curly-tails in Pearl white on a 1/8th oz. wide-gap Owner jighead No. # 1 or 2, and 1 & 1/2 inch Shad
Stingers in Pearl white or shad colors.

Tip any of these jigs with a BIG fathead minnow. If you want "barn door"
slabs, you've got to use bigger baits. No joke !

Move your jigs a foot or two of the bottom, in 12 to 20 feet of water, working weedlines and drop-offs, and any work the edges of any sunken creek channels you can find.

Big springtime slabs will be hungry, and ready to pounce on king-sized offerings, so don't be shy when it comes to feeding them.

Your biggest crappie this spring will undoubtedly be captured on your biggest baits.3 inch baits are NOT too big for these fish.
I catch 12 to 16 inch crappies with good frequency -- on baits you'd use for bass.

You've GOT to try this -- it will make a believer out of you !

Don't spend another season settling for undersized crappies, when you can take crappie the size of pie plates -- IF you use up-sized baits.
I don't care what anyone says about this, I catch BIG crappie using BIG baits.

Want more proof ? Check out crappie-pro Todd Huckabee. Go to his site and read what he has to say about big baits and big crappie.

Now, get out there in May, and get yourself some REAL slabs !

Kaptain K. --- over and out ....