Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Foam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sea Foam

I did some research about Sea Foam on their web site. http://www.seafoamsales.com/
    and found out that this stuff contains NAPTHA a form of petroleum distillate. I paid 5 bucks for a pint of Sea Foam at the auto store. But I can buy a gallon of Napta for a lot less than $5.00/pint.

Sea Foam was first sold for using in 2 cycle boat motors. But now they are using it in automobiles.

Do any of you people use Sea Foam and have you ever put some in your vehicle's oil? If so how long did you leave it in the oil before you changed the oil? It's suppose to clean the rings and PVC value if you put it in the oil. It cleans the pistons, rings, and carburator when you put it in your gas tank. I used 1 once per gallon and 1 ounce per quart of oil in the engine of my truck.

I put this in my boat's gas tank and in my tiller. I am running some in the lawn motor's gas too.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-21-2006 at 07:56 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell any change in performance?

Post Thanks / Like

Your website link goes directly to a motel---:D

Post Thanks / Like

i used it all last winter in boat and lawnmower weedeater and all that stuff fish a little in the winter leave gas hooked up for the most part figured it couldnt hurt little pricey but what aint any more
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes it's running much better now.

I have only driven about 150 miles since I added the sea foam to the oil and gas in my truck. Too soon to really tell. Normally, with a full tank of gas, I can get about 270 miles before I get down below 1/4 tank. Gas mileage does not seem to be great right now ..not yet. Maybe I forgot to reset the trip odometer right away. I know for sure on the next tank of gas. I normally fill up the tank and then reset the trip odometer and then figure my gas mileage that way.

I am getting close to 1/4 tank now and I only have driven about 150 miles
    since I filled up last time. Although, the truck does seem to be idling smoother. At times my truck in the past would race at 2000 rpm and then other times it would idle down to 800 rpm. Not sure why it did that. Now it seems to be idling more in the 1000 rpm range. Before it would race up to 2000 rpm about 90 % of the time. Especially when the engine was hot.

I think that the EGR or the PCV valves or some of the other air pollution equipment is causing the fast idling. That's what the manual said.

Only more time will tell. I plan on changing the oil soon. I don't want to run thin oil in the hot summer weather. I normally buy the thicker oil. Truck does not smoke and the tail pipe is pretty clean. I took pretty good care of this truck's engine.

I will say that the 15 year old Tecumseh Tiller started right up this year. Normally I have to tear the carb down to get that thing running long enough to till my small garden. Its only a 1.5hp motor. Right now it runs at full speed no matter where the gas trigger is positioned. I think that something is stuck inside the carb. LOL A spring flew off once when I first took the carb off the motor and I never could figure out how to put that spring back onto the carb. So that's the problem right now. Someday I get a good schematic and figure out exactly where that spring goes. Until this it runs full tilt.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

i use sea foam in all my small engines and the boat too, mixed it real heavy on a couple of older chain saws and it really helped them run better.put some in the tank of the car and truck every couple of months, figure it can't hurt.
    fillet em n fry em
    john

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a procedure for de-carbing an outboard using Sea Foam. Its also good for unsticking rings of an outboard that has sat around for a long time. Beware, do not do this on your driveway as it will make a mess. http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb...;f=36;t=000006

My buddy bought his daughter an older Toyota Camry. It wouldn't idle properly but after running a can of Sea foam thru it, it smoothed right out.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about the chain saw. I keep it up in the attic above the garage. I have one of them folding down ladders in the garage ceiling and have most of the ceiling joyces above the garage covered with 5/8" thick plywood. I hate going up there as it's got a low ceiling or no ceiling and it's dark and hot up there. I need to install a light and put a light switch up there someday. Just have not gotten around to doing that. That and I need to put a power vent in the roof too.

But it's cool now so I'll go up there and bring the chain saw down and add some sea foam to the gas.

I don't mind the sea foam in the gas tank. But I do worry about putting the sea foam in the oil of the truck for too long. I wonder just how long it will take the clean the gunk out of the oil and all the parts that the oil contacts inside the engine? A few days or 50 miles or should I leave it in there for 3 months or 3000 miles which ever comes first. I don't really want to leave it in there that long. I can always add more sea foam to the oil if I decide to drain the present oil and sea foam and put new oil in the thing. Would rather spend money on two oil changes than ruin a good engine.

I know that my small tiller and my lawn mower seem to be running good now. So putting sea foam in the gas didn't hurt them at all. I put some in my mom's Snapper Riding lawn more and her self propelled snapper push mower. I have a snapper push mower at my house and it's a great little lawn mower. But at times the carb gets clogged up with stuff. Once I found a small piece of grass stuck inside the carb's ports and no amount of sea foam would dissolve that blade of grass. I had to run a small wire though this hole in the carb to get that grass out of the hole. Man did that mower engine run faster after that.

Thanks for reminding me about the chain saw. I have a dead tree out in the back yard that I need to cut down someday. First the garden get's tilled, fertilized, and planted then I go fishing and camping. Then I cut the tree down.

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy
    i use sea foam in all my small engines and the boat too, mixed it real heavy on a couple of older chain saws and it really helped them run better.put some in the tank of the car and truck every couple of months, figure it can't hurt.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose1am I just added some to a 11 hp honda engine in the oil.I have been wandering the same thing about how long to leave it in there too.I have used it in everything that had gas and it seems to help.but this my first time with the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

i started using Sea Foam last summer in my 1956 Mercury 30hsp outboard. The motor ran good before, but after i put it in it ran much better, i could tell a noticable difference after putting it in at the boat ramp and cruising to my fishing spot. I think rather highly of the stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast