Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cheap Rod Holder Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap Rod Holder Suggestions?

I thought I might go out and try some minnows for a change instead of the constant jigging method.

Around here, folks use some large rod holders, looks like they are made from pvc pipe. The ones I have found seemed to be a bit pricey.

I need something that can clamp onto a 1" rail, and lets the pole set straight out from the boat like maybe between 90 and 60 degrees.

I found this little guy,
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dexId=cat21300

and to be honest, for 4.99 it don't look half bad.
    anyone else have any suggestions? ..
    yup it's gotta be cheap. :D

Many Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some at Academy that were under $2.00. I used them as a test of what I want to do. I will eventually go to better pole holders when I get it all figured out.

Post Thanks / Like

You will prob trow that thing away after the first time you use it. I have tried them, and that's exactly what I did.

I have tried all of the super cheap ones, and none of them work right.

You can try them, but from my experiences, I wouldn't waist my money on any of the super cheap ones.

The one I have now is 11.99 at Walmart, and I like it pretty good. I think it's made by Atwood.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i made my holders and like them .never rust or bend .

retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

looks like thay will work good too
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at some of those Wal-Mart Atwood rod holders but they were fixed in one place and not adjustable up/down, left/right. And they mounted to the boat with a star type mounting device. I want to get some that have the "T" bar that stands about 30" high above the deck of my boat. I can only use three rods in IN though. My boat is narrower than most bigger boats so I don't have a lot of room up front. The trolling motor, depth finder and temperature gauges are all mounted up there in front of my seat along with the anchor and wench.

I have been looking at this rod holders things for a couple of years. I have noticed that a lot of the guys fishing tournaments adjust their rods so that the tips are only a few inches above the water. I want a rod holder that adjusts in all three axis and it easy to adjust without a lot of tools yet is sturdy. Don't want to loose three rods all at one time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pstone
    You will prob trow that thing away after the first time you use it. I have tried them, and that's exactly what I did.

I have tried all of the super cheap ones, and none of them work right.

You can try them, but from my experiences, I wouldn't waist my money on any of the super cheap ones.

The one I have now is 11.99 at Walmart, and I like it pretty good. I think it's made by Atwood.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    i made my holders and like them .never rust or bend .
    Yeah, thats exactly like the pvc holders I see a lot of here.

Anyone know if a manufacturer makes them?

I would like to get some of those, but with some kind of clamp system, so I don't have to drill more holes in my handrail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bantaras
    Yeah, thats exactly like the pvc holders I see a lot of here.

Anyone know if a manufacturer makes them?

I would like to get some of those, but with some kind of clamp system, so I don't have to drill more holes in my handrail.
    I made mine out of black 6 inch high pressure water pipe I found on the side of the road and used pappasage's and Labill's pics as my guide for the rod holders. I made my T bar like the ones Rango uses which is gas pipe. You might try that. With the Rango style of T bar you can just attach a base for the t bar in the boat where you want. Its nice to as the mounting base for the T bar is so low profile you dont ever really notice it when you have your rod holders out of the boat.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    With the Rango style of T bar you can just attach a base for the t bar in the boat where you want. Its nice to as the mounting base for the T bar is so low profile you dont ever really notice it when you have your rod holders out of the boat.
    Can you post pictures or sketches of your setup?

I have a small woodshop, so I think cutting some PVC is within my capabilities. I might can duplicate your system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bantaras
    Can you post pictures or sketches of your setup?

I have a small woodshop, so I think cutting some PVC is within my capabilities. I might can duplicate your system.
    Yeah I will take some pics this afternoon and try and get the wife to help me get them posted.