Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding a mess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding a mess

What's the best way to find a mess without a fish finder or no way to find submerged structure would u just hit all the cypress trees stumps and cover with a jig a couple times till u start landing em or is there a better way

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd start by getting a sonar, even a cheap or used one. My first sonar was an eagle cuda, less than $100. Plenty of stuff on ebay.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Electronics would be first thing. I wasted alot of time early on thinking I could find them w/o electronics and after lucking up a lot less than being shut out I decided to spend a little money.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trial and error will work but it's real slow. I find a lot of fish easing along from place to place. Crappie are finicky and when you find em then you can begin to throw your tackle box at em, one bait at a time. Sometimes you can sit on em for hours before they begin to bite. With no "eyes" you will wander around thinking you haven't found em yet. I sold one that came on my boat a while back for $25, so just keep your ears open and get into one. I have a HB565 that I love, and someone had a used one for about $100 on the classified ads here on CDC.That's half price or less.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Without any sonar I'd probably spend an hour or so on those stumps but if you arent catching you might try drifting with some minnows on tightlines for awhile. Put as many poles out as possible at different depths. Watch for hangups and get to 'em fast! It's a crap shoot without any "eyes" looking underwater though.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so i need electronics lmao now need some money u know what they say give a man a fish feed him for a day teach a man to fish he will end up not hungry but broke divorced with a real nice boat

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the only time you dont need electronics is if you're pulling them out of the bushes during the spring. Most time I don't bothering turning mine on those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Just go fishing, fish your stumps, find a map of the water your fishing, do your home work, asking locals, Internet, sink some brush, etc. The words "fish finder" usually don't refer to electronics, most the time your fish finder is in your hand. THE PROOF IS IN THE FISHING. Good luck.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoprtr View Post
    Ok so i need electronics lmao now need some money u know what they say give a man a fish feed him for a day teach a man to fish he will end up not hungry but broke divorced with a real nice boat
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around