PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees?

slab-in-the-box
12-30-2011, 08:04 PM
How many of you seasoned jig fisherman fish submerged Christmas Trees? I've heard some say they work great and others say they can actually keep the crappie away. I'm thinking about sinking some leftover trees that I've come across, but didn't know if it would be worth it, and definately don't want to sink them if it could possible keep crappie out of the area.

Rakoprtr
12-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I've alwas used em in my personal pond on the farm alwas works for me

waterboy1
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Home Depot will be taking back used christmas trees for disposal, tenn. fish and game usually takes some to put in the lakes here. I was offered some if I want them to put out in the lake, may be available to others as well.

NIMROD
12-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Most Christmas trees too thick and don't last long either IMO. Most are pine or spruce not local Red Cedar . Here the needles will load up with algea or moss and be just a lump on the bottom the first year. I perfer to see them recycled into mulch. If I'm using blocks , ties, my time and fuel I perfer to use something that will last for years.

river slabs are better
12-31-2011, 09:25 AM
most christmas trees too thick and don't last long either imo. Most are pine or spruce not local red cedar . Here the needles will load up with algea or moss and be just a lump on the bottom the first year. I perfer to see them recycled into mulch. If i'm using blocks , ties, my time and fuel i perfer to use something that will last for years.
x2

Billbob
12-31-2011, 10:41 AM
3x

Blackhawk19
12-31-2011, 02:25 PM
X4, I've started using bamboo.

Bronson
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Most Christmas trees too thick and don't last long either IMO. Most are pine or spruce not local Red Cedar . Here the needles will load up with algea or moss and be just a lump on the bottom the first year. I perfer to see them recycled into mulch. If I'm using blocks , ties, my time and fuel I perfer to use something that will last for years.

I agree completely. Too much effort & expense with too little reward. If you do decide to use them, I would thin out the branches so crappie can get inside.