Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Well, Santa brought my first yak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, Santa brought my first yak

I guess my wife and boys got tired of seeing me window shop kayaks. They surprised me with a 10 ft SOT. I will pick out my own paddle but I never realized that my regular boating PFDs would not do the job in a kayak. Does everyone here recommend a PFD made specifically for paddling? It looks like a jacket made for paddling might help you fit into the seat a little better. Thoughts?? Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

can we see a pic of ur yak? have no idea as i have never fished out of a yak

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been at it for a couple of years, and sadly didn't get in my kayak but a 3 or 4 times this year. I use an inflatable pfd. They allow your back to be completely exposed. Summertime can get pretty warm, but this type allows great ventalation. I bought a manual, because that is what i could afford at the time. The automatic type concerns me a bit, because you could end up spending a bit of money re-arming it. There is also now the HIT type that inflates on the equivilence of 4 inches of water pressure. Kind of like insurance. How much is too much

Post Thanks / Like

In Arkansas you can use an inflatable type V which is a waist belt that you inflate manually.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your first kayak! I have been fishing out of a yak for about 4 years now and for the most part it is exclusive. My motor boat just sits around anymore. Any way, I use a NRS Chinook PFD. I shopped around and compared pfds but, I found this one to be the most comfortable for me. I live in Pennsylvania and we are required to wear a pfd in a yak so I knew that the pfd would need to be comfortable.
    Go to any yak shop in your area and see if you can try some on.
    Hope this helps
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

NRS, extrasport, MTI, stholquist, kokatat, Astral all make kayak (and kayak fishing) specific pfd models. Best advice is to try them on, and sit down (like you sitting in a kayak). Make adjustments, and sit down again, if it is still riding up try a different brand/model.

My favorite (I have 4 different kayak pfd) is green colored stholquist wedge-e model.

Name:  16452.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  18.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

yes they make many differnt types understand that . a pfd is a life saver if you are not comfortable you want wear it and it doesnt work stowed in your boat you must use it to have it work for you

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this one last season and love it:

Stohlquist Fisherman PFD - Free Shipping at REI.com

Congratulations on your first kayak! I bought my first one last season (Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL, SOT) and I logged over twenty fishing trips with it between July and October. I wore this PFD every single trip out. I think one way to make sure you will get the most out of your kayak PFD spend is to choose one not just for safety and comfort, but also utility - lots of features for storing essential fishing gear. This one fit the bill for me in that regard.