Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Miami

Having moved away from good old Acton Lake. I wondered if anyone has any experience of the fishing on the Miami River or Four Mile Creek? As I am only a hop, skip and a jump away from both, it would be nice to know if the crappie fishing or anyother for that matter is anygood.

Im not expecting much from the bottom end of Four Mile Creek because of all the gravel excuvation going on there right now.

So any help at all would be rrrrrrrreeeealllllyyyyy appreciated.

Martin

PS any help in showing an Englishmen how to fish American style would also be helpful
    Last edited by Stateside99; 04-19-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't eat anything you catch

The Great Miami south of Dayton is too highly polluted for safe eating. Four Mile up near Oxford should be okay since most of those fish came out of Acton.
    New Miami is only a half hour from Acton, why not still fish there? We drive there from north of Eaton. You may also want to consider Rush Run near Camden. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me about the polution Roberta, I never eat what I catch, I am strictly catch and release. Not that I have anything against it, its just the way things are in England, and Im not a great fish eater anyway. I just like the peace and quiet and the sport of it.

Four Mile is approx 40 yds from the house so jumping on that with the canoe is sooooooooooo much easier. But thanks anyway. We still will be going to Acton on a regular basis, becuase we camp, horse ride and play golf up there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug would love tohave canoe access to Four Mile. It should be a good source of crappie, bass and saugeye that escape from Acton.

If you want to get on the Great Miami, I would suggest a river map from the Corps of Engineers because it has a lot of low head dams that are killers if you don't see them. The river has produced some big drum and flathead cats, which require heavy equipment for river fishing. You might want to check the catfish forum for ideas .Last year, somebody pulled a couple of musky out down near Hamilton, but nobody knows where they came from. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta,

There is a launch ramp in Hamilton above both wiers that is canoe accessable. And Four Mile enters the Miami about 200 yds upstream. Also, you can get a canoe in on Fourmile at the bottom of the overflow from Acton.
    Although from what Ive seen there is no pull out from there until Hamilton and its approx 43 miles. Ive looked into it somewhat because Ive been thinking of giving it ago from top to bottom, but it would be a 2 day trip, and the water level has to be right otherwise its a heck of a long walk.

Hope this helps.
    Martin