Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Docks on KY?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Docks on KY?

How come I never hear of a dock pattern on Ky or Barkley? I've never heard of anyone dock shooting
    or fishing docks at all. Just wondering. Everyone dock shoots Guntersville and they're on the same river.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw in my personal observations here; I think most docks on KY and Barkley are floating docks with steel spud poles so they can rise and fall with water levels. Those don't make nearly as good structure as the wooden pole docks seen in other places. Another (and probably more important) thing is if somebody is on a dock pattern here, they probably keep it to themselves. Selfish? Maybe. Logical? Absolutely!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

mrdux has some good insight, to which I will add :

Floating docks offer little to no cover, other than shade, unless they have brushpiles under them or weighted trees hanging off of them. Crappie suspending under floating docks are more vulnerable to predation, and easily visible to their prey. That's not to say that they don't utilize floating docks, they do ... it's just that stationary docks (on wooden poles) have this missing component (cover) in the form of the vertical wooden poles & horizontal crossbeams.

And, actually I HAVE shot docks on Barkley Lake, many moons ago, and with good success ... and I did report about it !! It's just that it was so long ago, that the report has been deleted due to the many format changes this site has undergone.

... cp