Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I saw it today

Post Thanks / Like

Default I saw it today

What do you do when you watch people do something stupid. If you upset them you might have flat tires, cut wires, or sorry desires. I watched 3 different minnow dippers change out the water in the buckets before they left. The lake has zebra mussels and its so easy to transport them this very way. Its a sad day and I'm sure their spread is imminent. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it just bothers me and my purist mentality.

Post Thanks / Like

..............and before you leave the lake:

(Kansas Fishing Regulations Summary / 2011 / pg 30)

CLEAN
    Inspect all equipment for anything attached (plants, animals, and mud) and remove anything that is found.

DRAIN
    Drain all water from equipment (livewell, bilge, bait buckets) before using at a different location.

DRY
    Dry all equipment for a minimum of 5 days before using again. If you need to use it sooner, wash and hot (140 degrees) water.

just sayn

Post Thanks / Like

bangheadThumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

yepp!All you can do is inform them.I really believe a lot of people just don't know.But then again,your taking a chance on having a flat when you get back to the ramp.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

Idiots, idiots, idiots, fools like this are going to ruin the way we fish! They are already costing me money by having me me hit the car wash if I think I might be heading to a different lake within a few days. I wish the state would give KDWP more money so they could moniter boaters and fisherfolks better!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish387 View Post
    yepp!All you can do is inform them.I really believe a lot of people just don't know.But then again,your taking a chance on having a flat when you get back to the ramp.
    I wished I had a camera, I was getting ready to launch and this group of 3 boats had just trailered. Right behind one of them was the Clean, Drain, Dry sign from my position I could've snapped a pic and had the whole thing in the shot. Not only that, but they changed out the water right next to another sign. They were hesitant as I rolled to a stop, they knew exactly what they were doing!! Maybe they were going to return the next day? Maybe not, they could be going somewhere else.

I guess my other point is, for $2-?? money worth of bait, theres guys who are just cheap enough to contribute to this problem. It's kinda a sign of the times. KDWPT doesn't have the money to enforce the law and JoeSmoo doesn't have the money to spill his bait. I went and got a video camera last night so I can avoid confrontations and have something for the LEO's. I am against ruining someone's day this way, but I now fish mussel factories mainly. I also believe the mussels are spread mainly by bait fisherman, as well as the white perch. I've witnessed them both firsthand. Luckily I have lifetime licenses cause I smell the difference coming from those fees.

Post Thanks / Like

I realize those guys were idiots but lets talk about two other groups of people who are clueless! A) Inboard motors always have water left in them. From what I have seen from them they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Thank you to all the skiers and wakeboarders who feel the need to ski or wakeboard in the timber while i'm fishing. B) Duck hunters...which I am one...don't clean the bottom of there boats out. Were out there in freezing weather dragging mud, water, and everything else known to mankind into our duckboats and then we go jump in another marsh or another body of water. I take the proper precautions but we all know plenty who don't...

Post Thanks / Like

There is no stopping the Zebras. Look at the river system that connects the reservoirs in KS. I doubt if they can travel up stream but if they get in Kirwin than Glen & Milford are next. If only one in a thousand ducks or geese carries one single zebra, how many would be spread from lake to lake in a week? Millions of birds migrate through the state every year, thousands more stay year around, how do we regulate them??? Look how the Asian carp have spread through the US river system, they're in the Missouri river south of Omaha now. Did they spread from a minnow bucket or bilge?? It's a major problem with no real solution.

Post Thanks / Like

They're already in Milford, been there 2-3yrs at least. Glen, we'll see. Glen has had very high water the last few years, IMO a "normal" water level through the summer will expose them. The Big 4 would mean complete contamination of the system. banghead

Now the Asian carp were stocked in sewage lagoons down south, purposefully. The Big Flood opened their boundaries, and they're posed waiting for the next one to infiltrate through-out the state. Many of the man-made barriers that would have stopped them have become inundated or tore out. Honestly, looking at that perspective, if your waters have carp or buffaloes you will eventually have the Silver or Asian carp, it's inevitable.

Hindsight is 20/20 and foresight is . Neb P&G has done some extensive work and studies in an attempt to control some ANS populations, my understanding is it's been futile with no success, esp with the Zebras. They have drained and "killed" some of their lakes. Only to have the ANS reappear. This is the part of Darwins theory I believe in. As for the ANS plants, I strongly believe that waterfowl are the contributing factors to their spread. Just look at unstocked ponds for that answer.

In all honestly I don't believe any gov't agency at this point has anything close for resources to control many, if not all of the ANS. My biggest concern is the bill for the battle, which is going to be passed on to all of us. Just do your part and sleep well at night knowing your part has been taken care off Thumbs Up