Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Questions re: putting line on a baitcasting reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions re: putting line on a baitcasting reel

1) when the line capacity specs say 10/120, are they referring to mono line? 10 lb. braid is significantly thinner right?

2) does the amount of line on the spool make any difference in casting? On a spinning reel you want to load up to about 1/8" from the lip of the spool since the line has to travel over the lip during a cast. But on a baitcast spool it just rolls off...so does it make any difference if the spool is only half full? I know that a fuller spool will release/retrieve more line per revolution, but is that really that significant?

3) does the amount of line on the spool change the chances of (or severity of) backlash?

I guess the gist of my question is that braided line is pretty expensive so I only want to buy a 100-yard spool of 10 lb. line. Should I just load it up and forget about backing, etc. ?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes 10/120 is mono size, 10# of 120 yards of line.. If you will be installing braid you will need to add mono first on the spool then attach the braid to the mono or the braid will just slide on the spool. Install the line to 1/8" of the spool as only 1/2 full will reduce casting distance, accuracy, and backlash problems.

Post Thanks / Like

x2- I put mostly mono on first and use just 20 feet more than my longest cast. As you say the braid is more expensive so use just what it takes for a cast plus a few more feet. If you change lures quite often is when the extra line comes in. If you change lures often than I would recommend using a snap hook on the end of your line so you aren't cutting line off each time you change lures. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 - 120yds of 10lb test mono ... correct !

#2 - yes/yes/yes

#3 - yes ... but, less than how you have your brakes set, how good your casting routine is, and the weight & shape of your lure.

Yes, braid is more expensive than mono .... but, in terms of $$ per amount of time the lines are still suitable to fish with, braids are actually cheaper in the long run (since they last many times longer than mono). A 150yd spool of braid should be enough for 3 reels ... depending on how you'll be fishing with them. Use some old mono as backing - lighten up your drag - have a wood dowel rod handy, to wrap braid around, for pulling lures free from snags - have a pair of Fiskar Childs Scissors for cutting the braid in a nice clean/blunt tag end, as that makes for easier lure attachment.

.. cp

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know.
    cp - good point about the value of braid. Now I don't feel so bad...

I think I'll get a 100-yard spool of 10# and put 50 yards on the baitcaster, under a mono backing. If I like it, I might use the other 50 yards on a medium light spinning rig.

Of course, none of this gets tested out until spring. But it's fun to play with in the meantime. Right now, I'm working on a solution for holding my jigs. The standard Plano box doesn't work in my set-up so I've had to design/build a jig holder.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    #1 - 120yds of 10lb test mono ... correct !

#2 - yes/yes/yes

#3 - yes ... but, less than how you have your brakes set, how good your casting routine is, and the weight & shape of your lure.

Yes, braid is more expensive than mono .... but, in terms of $$ per amount of time the lines are still suitable to fish with, braids are actually cheaper in the long run (since they last many times longer than mono). A 150yd spool of braid should be enough for 3 reels ... depending on how you'll be fishing with them. Use some old mono as backing - lighten up your drag - have a wood dowel rod handy, to wrap braid around, for pulling lures free from snags - have a pair of Fiskar Childs Scissors for cutting the braid in a nice clean/blunt tag end, as that makes for easier lure attachment.

.. cp
    YES-x2 what crappiepappy says-- follow it to the letter for successful fun fishing
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Another trick if you're not worried about total capacity is to back about 30-40% or so of the spool with black tape, then just use braid after that. Most of my reels are done this way and works well.
    Blue Water LED, LLC - www.bluewaterled.com
    Blue Water Jeff - 1-800-221-2583