Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Talala

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talala

Got a friend coming up from Ft Gibson, plan to launch around 3-4 am.
    I'll give report in the morning.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 04-19-2006 at 02:09 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Talala

Good Reaper, let us know. I've went to Talala Creek the past two days and haven't did much good. I've been going after work so I'm sure I'm there at the wrong time of day. Plan to play hooky tomorrow so I can get out there way before sun rise. Can't wait. The fever is eating me alive!

Cards01 Guest

Crappe Reaper hope you had a good morning... Anxiously awaiting the verdict for this mornings trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Reaper 33 - Crappie 0

A bit slower than easter morning, but we still came home with 33 total, average around 12". Most fish came from the nightime bite, We may have caught about 8 keepers once the sun came up. Got off the water at 11.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Great to hear Reaper. Would you say the bite is still dying off by 10am? What time do find you catch the most fish? I need to plan what would be the best time to get out there tomorrow. Thanks again for letting all of us know what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like

The bite is definately still slowing down by around 8 am. The nightime bite has been consistant my last 4 trips out.
    My guess is anytime at night at least an hour after dark till an houir after sunrise.
    None of the fish have come from along the creek bank where most usually anchor. Most all have come from the smaller coves and points.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 04-20-2006 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Put in last night about 11pm.. fished till 8am this morning.. Here's how the night went.. I'm still learning oologah and don't really have any spots to go right to and check so we went to what looked good and worked shorelines, points and coves slow and steady from there until we got something. It was pretty darn slow until about 3:30am.. I don't know if the time had anything to do with it or if we just finally hit the right spot, but once we did we started reeling some in. I'm also a novice at nighttime fishing and didn't have a black light.. I now realize why one is so important.. We probably lost a good 10 to 15 fish because we couldn't see our line/bobber... But we did manage to reel in probably 15 to 20.. Of those we kept 8 very nice sized ones. We threw back a few that we probably could of kept but were a bit on the small size.. We didn't catch but maybe 1 or 2 fish after the sun came up. We were catching them on the north shoreline not too far from the ramp.. We also caught a couple in one of the coves on the south side but I don't know which one.. it was probably half to 3/4 of the way to main lake..

So we had a good time, learning the lake, learning nighttime fishing and I would say the crappie are biting for sure during the night.. Now at least I have a couple places to check. Will probably try again early saturday evening until a little while after dark with wife/kids, but not going to pull an all nighter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by gfisherman
    Put in last night about 11pm.. fished till 8am this morning.. Here's how the night went.. I'm still learning oologah and don't really have any spots to go right to and check so we went to what looked good and worked shorelines, points and coves slow and steady from there until we got something. It was pretty darn slow until about 3:30am.. I don't know if the time had anything to do with it or if we just finally hit the right spot, but once we did we started reeling some in. I'm also a novice at nighttime fishing and didn't have a black light.. I now realize why one is so important.. We probably lost a good 10 to 15 fish because we couldn't see our line/bobber... But we did manage to reel in probably 15 to 20.. Of those we kept 8 very nice sized ones. We threw back a few that we probably could of kept but were a bit on the small size.. We didn't catch but maybe 1 or 2 fish after the sun came up. We were catching them on the north shoreline not too far from the ramp.. We also caught a couple in one of the coves on the south side but I don't know which one.. it was probably half to 3/4 of the way to main lake..

So we had a good time, learning the lake, learning nighttime fishing and I would say the crappie are biting for sure during the night.. Now at least I have a couple places to check. Will probably try again early saturday evening until a little while after dark with wife/kids, but not going to pull an all nighter.
    Most people don't have a black light. As far as I know, I am the only Crappie fisherman that uses one. Here in Oklahoma, it is rare to see one on the lake, unless you are fishing Grand Lake. There are night time bass fishermen that use them. Try this if using a bobber that has the styrofoam float and you are using a white light to illuminate your fishing area. Take the styrofoam portion off and turn it upside down and replace it. This makes the white portion of the bobber visible above the surface and makes it easier to see while using lights. It is what I did years before I ever heard of Black light fishing. It works just fine.

As for fishing spots at night, it is no different than day. You have to get used to what areas consistanly produce for you, and check the hottest spot first. Once you have some areas that you have caught fish in the past, it gives you a dandy starting point.
    I have so many good summer time places now, that I start out looking for new ones. I am always on the hunt for where the bigger fish hold up. I can always back track and hit one of my regular spots just to not go home with an empty live well. Don't get me wrong, there are times that I get skunked just like anyone else. If I had the right boat, I would probably start a guide service on Oologah though. Until then, I am content just finding new spots and catching fish. I'll turn you on to a couple of places when we can meet up out there.