Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Help Finding Lake Map with Contours

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Finding Lake Map with Contours

I am not having much luck finding a map with the depth contours and creek channels of Lake Atkins near Atkins, AR. If anybody knows how I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bandit ... I doubt you're going to find a contour map of such a small lake. From the looks of it on Google Earth, it's not very deep as I can see large amounts of standing timber (dead trees) all over the dam end half of the lake. Maybe you could print off an outline map & piece together a general/makeshift contour map, yourself ??

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP, I'll check it out.

Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I see the lake was built in 1956 AGFC | Lake Information and Maps You might try searching for an old topo map from before the lake was built. Then you might be able to trace the old contour lines onto the lake map.

Post Thanks / Like

David, The map that has Nimrod, Atkins,Overcup, and Harris Brake has about the best contours of anything I've looked at. I think you have a map of it. If not, I have one, I could fax you.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I see the lake was built in 1956 AGFC | Lake Information and Maps You might try searching for an old topo map from before the lake was built. Then you might be able to trace the old contour lines onto the lake map.
    Yeah, Shelly, good point .... that was in the back of my mind, too, when I suggested piecing together a makeshift map. I wonder if the AGFC has a geographical topo that could be obtained ??

Although ... if the lake is that old, the contours wouldn't still be the same ... which is why I would suggest printing out a outline map & marking some of the more obvious "objects" for reference (boat docks, biggest trees, creek channel, etc) while using the depthfinder to give area depths. The more often "slabbandit" goes to this lake, the more info he can add to the map. Plus, reading the info on your link ... it appears the lake was drained in 2002 & worked on (& restocked). At 613 acres (or 725 acres, whichever it now is) you really wouldn't need much in the way of narrow contour increments, just general area depths & a general idea of where the old channel runs.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, I do have that map but didn't even think about Atkins being on it.

Thanks,
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Navionics?
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about your state or if this is a lake in your state parks system or not but here in Ohio the parks department has free downloads of all their bodies of water.

Good luck, Stan

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanimals2 View Post
    Not sure about your state or if this is a lake in your state parks system or not but here in Ohio the parks department has free downloads of all their bodies of water.

Good luck, Stan
    AGFC does have free maps but show only water and landings no depth best I remember.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs