Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling from the rear or side of the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling from the rear or side of the boat

I'm looking for the pro's and con's regarding pulling for crappie. I mainly spider rig from the front of the boat but am considering pulling at the same time. I have never pulled before. My question is which technique is not only the best, but the easyiest pulling from the rear of the boat or from the side? I am considering Tite Loc pole holders for the rear of the boat (what I have for the front) or a Driftmaster for the side of the boat if they make one that will attach to the rail of a WarEagle 1860. Most importantly my wife would be in charge o the rear or side poles if this changes anything!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I pull from the sides with Driftmasters. I have had trouble in the past pulling out the back and the line(s) getting hung in the motor.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

I pull (longline with 3/8 oz. weight 18" in front of the jig) off the back and sides. I use a jon boat with Tite-Loc holders on C-clamps. No gas engine; just a trolling motor mounted on the transom. Two rods straight off the back and one each on the right and left sides. (One of the side rods is medium light/10 lb braid/larger lure just in case a northern pike comes along - I want to fight him off the side of the boat, away from the other lines).

The Tite-Locs are ideal for pulling from the side because the front "U" is fairly deep, providing a secure hold on the rod.

Both locations work well so I'd make the decision based on which is more comfortablely located to the seating. The biggest advantage to pulling off the transom is that you can use any length rods in any combination without fear of lines getting tangled. Off the sides it's best to use different length rods to keep the lines spread out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never done any spider rigging so I could be way off, but one thing you may want to consider is the difference in speed for the two (spider vs. longline). you may run into some trouble with getting the presentation that you want from both techniques. But like I said, I could be way off. There are some really good fishermen on here that can get you pointed in the right direction though.
    **rww1977**

Post Thanks / Like

longlining is usually done from .9mph to 1.2mph, I think spider riggin is done a bit slower. I don't spider rig just longline. I use driftmaster holders, you can get them for the left side of the boat so they won't go loose on you and rod slip out if you get hung up or get a big one on. You can mount a driftmaster 'bout anywhere, with different mounts available. I have a driftmaster 2 rod holder on the bow of my boat, works fine for me , no tangles and don't get hung up in the big motor either. I pull cranks at times from the front as well but that is a at 1.5mph or more as a general rule.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.