Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Rigs in Nebraska

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabama Rigs in Nebraska

I saw some posts about this "Alabama Rig" on here, and wondered if anyone from the Husker state would discuss them. (Maybe they have and I missed it.) Figured they wouldn't be allowed here, but this blog post affirms my suspicions. In The Wild | NEBRASKAland Magazine
    Looks like a pretty nifty little rig, but I can't imagine the snags I'd end up with!!

Post Thanks / Like

I see you just joined us this month. Welcome.

I have never seen one of these, but im not surprised that they are illegal in Nebraska. The rules cleary state you can't have more than two hooks on a line. That is obviously 5 hooks, hehe. I would imagine it would be great for crappie fishing up here, but bass, not so much. Bass fishing really isn't anything like what you see in the southeast.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wonder, though....how would that work on the river?? (I mean, besides ending up being a tangled, snagged up mess!) I think you can have five hooks on a line in the river (but I haven't looked at the regs for a while.) With all the water this year, who knows what you might catch with one of those things in the muddy mo!!
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I tightline troll an umbrella rig which is very similar, although to be able to use it in NE, I simply attach the upper tube jigs by a large coastlock/swivel (no hooks). The two jigs which are on a dropper below the teasers are standard jig head/tube jig combo. This meets the requirement of the statue of two hooks per line. Although, I am able to use 6 total tube jigs, 4 with no hooks to simulate a shoal of bait fish.
    With two rods going it really looks good. I occasionally have fish hit the teasers, but 90% of the time they take the droppers which have hooks. Of course with two guys or fishing in KS (where regs allow a third pole per person) it even looks better.
    I simply purchase umbrella frames used for striper fishing, 7” models and use Southern Pro 2”-2.5” tubes.
    Just thought I would share…good luck on the hard water.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a pretty good idea P4P! Thanks for sharing!
    I thought about that after I posted earlier.

Wish the water would get hard here! (I can't believe I just typed that out loud!!)
    This is the first year I've been excited to ice fish, so most likely we will have a warm winter. That's how my luck goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Fyi...
    North of G.I the ice is about 3"-5". The I-80 corridor around G.I is probably unsafe. I fished I-80 lakes two weekends ago and it was only 2.5" I'd really watch it on the interstate lakes. I'm heading west for the holidays with the fam and will fish southwest NE where the ice report is 3"-5".
    Of course the refuge lakes have a good report....although heard of guys finding bad spots up there too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm down here in the south east part. There just doesn't appear to be any ice yet here!
    I have a brother in Hickman, so we do a lot of our ice fishing around there (Olive Creek, Wagon Train, Stagecoach.) But all I have close to me is farm ponds, which I assume should freeze up a little earlier than those "bigger" lakes. (not that those lakes are very big to many of the guys on here.)

I've never tried fishing this time of year on open water. Do you guys ever try it? If so, do you have much success?
    Last edited by dirtyolman; 12-23-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added a little more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyolman View Post
    I'm down here in the south east part. There just doesn't appear to be any ice yet here!
    I have a brother in Hickman, so we do a lot of our ice fishing around there (Olive Creek, Wagon Train, Stagecoach.) But all I have close to me is farm ponds, which I assume should freeze up a little earlier than those "bigger" lakes. (not that those lakes are very big to many of the guys on here.)

I've never tried fishing this time of year on open water. Do you guys ever try it? If so, do you have much success?
    I personally, only fish open water this time of year in KS. Success is probably the best of the year, but it's a long drive too.
    I'm planning a trip to Stagecoach this winter....cause of obvious reasons. Although, I'm going to wait until the ice is about 6" so I can use my ATV to cover more ground. If you get out sometime and find the ice to be at that point, If that ever occurs, I would greatly appreciate a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

What part of KS are you in? We try to make a trip or two to Milford every year. I love it down there! When we were there this summer, it was about 10' above pool. Did alright (for us) on white bass, with a couple decent walleye and cats mixed in.

I hope to get some posts on here once the ice is good enough to be out on. If my brother and I can be on it, it's good enough for the 4 wheeler! We aren't exactly small people. So I'll try to let you know one way or another when it's thick enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of the umbrella rig I use... I put a few together last night and hope the new colors work.
    Name:  Copy of 03132012 004.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  47.3 KB
    Last edited by Bill Sellers; 03-13-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Indeed, the single biggest reason we're not catching fish spring, summer, winter, or fall is that there are no fish where we're fishing."

Gord Pyzer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast