Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Crappie Bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Crappie Bait

I'm looking for a bait that catches mostly big crappie. I have been using a Bobby Garland Scent Wiggler and catching lots of crappie, but lots of small ones. I know there are big ones there but there are so many small ones it's hard to get to them. Any ideas on a bigger bait to use? I'm thinking maybe a small Zoom Fluke on a jighead or something like that.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I catch alot with a 3in curly tail on a 1/16 poneyhead,also 4in.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well, Stumpy ...

I'm looking for a bait that catches mostly big crappie.
    Rofl .... if there WAS such a bait, it would be the only one on the market ... LOL !!

Seriously, though ... I've caught BIG Crappie & SMALL Crappie on baits from 1/32oz jigs to 1/4oz crankbaits to 4" plastics ... & seen them caught on baits smaller AND larger. Sounds to me like you have the schools of small ones zeroed in, but you just need to FIND where the schools of larger ones are hanging out. I don't think it's so much your bait choice, or size, that's the problem .... but, WHERE you're fishing. You may need to go a little deeper, and get the bait down quicker, if the larger fish are mingled in with the dinks. If not, then look around that area for cover deeper than the dinks are using.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpy, if you find that bait let me know! Crappiepappy gave some real good advice that will help.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpy find the area that holds the bigger fish.... Its all about location, location, location.
    Remember that 10% of the lake holds 90% of the bigger fish.
    Bigger baits won't stop the little ones from biting it will only slow them down.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

stumpy, these guys are right,you are finding small fish.big fish hit small bait like small fish. usually the big fish will hit first then smaller ones
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Never hurts to have a big fat minnow on.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a new 3 inch Slim Tripple Threat grub from Kalin's. Some of my customers have been catching bigger fish with this bait.

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

A good lively fat minner is one good way, but as others have stated you have to fish where the big fish are, location, location, location! I have caught little dink crappie on zara spook before, when they are hungry they are hungry!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk19 View Post
    Stumpy, if you find that bait let me know!...
    Ditto! I love catching those hawg crappie but I guess catching the little ones in-between is better than catching nothing. I'd probably try some larger minnows (even though I'm pretty much a jig fisherman)and see if that'd work if the 3" curly tails didnt do it....unless you have alot of stripers/wipers in your waters.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast