Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: News Release: Great Fishing Predicted For 2012

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default News Release: Great Fishing Predicted For 2012

GREAT FISHING PREDICTED FOR 2012

Dec. 22, 2011

KDWPT biologists use data to predict fishing prospects, stocking needs

PRATT — “Statewide, I think we’re looking at a very good year for anglers in 2012,” says Doug Nygren, Fisheries Section chief for the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT). What leads Nygren to this conclusion? The results of fish biologists’ 2011 fall fish sampling.

To monitor the health of fisheries and help anglers find the best places to fish, KDWPT’s 16 district fisheries biologists spend the fall sampling Kansas lakes. In addition, the agency raises and stocks millions of fish throughout the state annually, providing anglers abundant opportunities to catch a wide variety of species. Sampling lakes is the best way to determine population health and stocking needs, and fall is the best time to sample fish because it’s the end of the growing season.

Although biologists can't sample every lake in the state every year, periodic sampling results are assembled to show trends and multi-year averages for some lakes. This information is compiled into the KDWPT Fishing Forecast, available on the agency’s website (KDWPT - KDWPT) in January and published in the March/April issue of Kansas Wildlife & Parks magazine. The forecast is a valuable tool that can help anglers decide where to fish. Biologists also use sample and creel survey data to help them make stocking requests and length and creel limit recommendations for the 26 reservoirs, 40 state fishing lakes, and 230 community lakes the monitor and manage.

In the meantime, Nygren gives a brief preview of what anglers can expect:

“Our crappie populations look really good,” he says, “some of the best in years because of a resurgence of water levels in several reservoirs that flooded woody vegetation and created excellent fish habitat.” According to Nygren, fall fish sampling data indicates that a number of reservoirs will provide fine crappie fishing in 2012, including Lovewell, Hillsdale, Melvern, Big Hill, Perry, Elk City, Tuttle Creek, Milford, and Clinton.

“Next year should be one of our better years for largemouth bass, too,” Nygren adds. “Wilson, Sebelius, LaCygne, Webster, Perry, Hillsdale, and Big Hill reservoirs should all provide plenty of largemouth action.”

For those who prefer bigger fish, Nygren says this outlook is good, as well. “It’s going to be an outstanding year for wipers. Sebelius, Marion, Cheney, and Clinton will likely be our best reservoirs.

“But it’s not just these three species. Walleye fishing should better than most years, especially in Webster, Kirwin, Glen Elder, Milford, and Cedar Bluff reservoirs.”

Nygren adds that outstanding fishing can also be found in the smaller state fishing lakes and community lakes. Two relatively new lakes — Critzer Reservoir, near Mound City, and Horsethief Reservoir, near Jetmore — are just beginning to mature and will offer some great fishing.

In May, fisheries biologists may use electroshocking for bass, which temporarily stuns the fish, so they can be counted and then released. In October and November, gill-nets and trap nets are used to sample all sportfish. The nets are pulled onto a boat and the fish removed. Biologists then count, weigh, and measure each fish and record this information, taking care to get the fish back in the water quickly. Netting results are recorded on waterproof paper or a laptop computer.

With a laptop, biologists can enter data on the water, then enter it directly into the department's Aquatic Data Analysis System (ADAS) when they get back to the office, eliminating paperwork. ADAS also allows biologists to enter paper-recorded testing data into the system through a desktop computer. They can then compare results with past years' data, which lets them know the population dynamics of the lake tested and make management decisions, from stocking plans to length and creel limits.

Biologists also use Fisheries Analysis and Simulation Tools (FAST) software program, developed in conjunction with 20 other states. This computer application allows the field biologist to use data from the ADAS system and separate age and growth testing to predict what would happen if certain length or creel limits were imposed on a given lake. Tools such as this allow biologists to better manage fish populations and enhance angling opportunities.

Now that sampling is complete, anglers across Kansas can look forward to the 2012 Kansas Fishing Forecast, which will be available on the KDWPT website early in the new year.

Post Thanks / Like

Craig whats the deal with perry ??? It 's not close to the lake it was in the late 90's the other area lakes seem to be holding Melvern gets fished Hard and still produces but Perry doesn't get any pressure and sucks on a day in day out basis.the boat ramps are empty most of the time.not like in the past when you had to get there early to get a parking spot. I'm not the only one who is wondering this the sauger use to be great it even sucks compaired to the other area lakes.Nick

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walleyecrazy839 View Post
    Craig whats the deal with perry ??? It 's not close to the lake it was in the late 90's the other area lakes seem to be holding Melvern gets fished Hard and still produces but Perry doesn't get any pressure and sucks on a day in day out basis.the boat ramps are empty most of the time.not like in the past when you had to get there early to get a parking spot. I'm not the only one who is wondering this the sauger use to be great it even sucks compaired to the other area lakes.Nick
    Nick,

Not sure I can completely answer all of your questions. I checked with Tj to get some info to respond. He hasn't seen any large declines in any of the sportfish populations, except for a recent dip in the sauger population. Sauger density showed increases during the 2011 fall sample. Anglers are catching limits of crappie. Largemouth bass numbers are good. Anglers caught a lot of white bass this year. As always, it sounds like some anglers find the fish and others don't.

I can't speak for Perry but El Dorado ramps weren't very crowded this past summer possibly due to the lower economy and money being tight for many, continued high gas prices, and the very hot weather we had to endure. Productive 2011 patterns were very different than the previous four years which were very wet years. 2011 was very dry and the lake was low. Different conditions caused the fish to be located in different areas. Those anglers that continued to fish historically productive patterns did poorly in 2011. Those anglers that explored new patterns experienced stellar fishing for multiple species. Fishing was tough at El Dorado during the majority of 2010 until the water started to clear in early fall. Anglers were struggling and the "fish are gone" rumors began to circulate. My 2010 fall test netting showed good numbers and good sizes of sportfish. Gizzard shad were numerous and predators didn't have to work very hard to keep their bellies full. Patterns didn't last more than a couple days making fishing difficult. The fish were there, they were just tough to catch for most. Maybe something similar is occurring at Perry?

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad to see the other 3 lakes in this area with boats in the parking lots and few if any on Perry. I know the locals that live around the lake they all say the same thing if you want good fish go to Pomona Melvern Or Clinton.Or when the tourney guys struggle to put 6 lbs. on the board as has been the case for the past several tourneys.The reports I get are from the tourney fishermen themselves and personaly spending time on the lake. You have to beat the rocks go threw little fish to end up with enough for a meal . Go to one of the other Lakes and pull that many off one spot. I would love to see it half as good as Melvern or Clinton like in the past because it's my home lake but I have to spend more to get to a lake that is worth fishing. Catching . The truth is compaired to our other area lakes its down.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick,

Feel free to contact Tj. You can call him at his office 785-246-4514 or email him at kirk.tjelmeland(at)ksoutdoors.com.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Craig I do Have some Concerns, Maby get the fishery turned around for all to enjoy. Hope it comes back to the glory Days.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem, Nick!

Post Thanks / Like

Just think Nicky boy when next fall all those 9 7/8in fish are 11in? I'll probably be headed to Perry instead of clinton!?!? Maybe not!