Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Casting!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Casting!!!!!

A good hello to you all.

I am originally from England, UK or Britain, however you want to say it .

Anyway the thing is Im only used to fishing with an open or closed face reel.
    So, Ive messed around alittle with a baitcaster but with no luck whatsoever .

Anyone out there give a poor "limey" a little guidance of how to work one of these things with alittle dignity and accuracy????

Flip, toss and pitch are also totally foreign to me. So any explenation of these terms would be of great help.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have one. After pressing the spool release button/bar, I just keep my thumb pressure on the spool "until" the forward cast to release the line/lure. Conversely, I reapply thumb pressure on the spool to stop the release of the line/lure. Depending on my drag setting, I might pull line off the spool without pressing the spool release button/bar for flipping, tossing, or pitching the lure but I can press the button/bar to release the line before reeling up line to the length I want. Hope this helps.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Leave about 6" of line between the rod tip and the lure. Press the release button/bar and hold the spool with your thumb. In one fluid motion swing rod overhead and forward, releasing the pressure on the spool at about the 10 O'clock position. If you feel the spool "outrunning" the line apply SLIGHT pressure to the spool with your thumb to slow it down and keep control of your cast.

PRACTICE !!!!!!!!!! It is all a matter of "feel".

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

It Will Help To Set The Drag A Little On The Tight Side Until You Get The Feel Of The Spool Speed
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stateside, sense you are not familiar with baitcasting reels, you would do better to READ the directions for operating a baitcaster reel. You have the basics of casting already but you need the knowledge of the baitcaster. A little schooling always helps. Fred aka "Ferdi"

Post Thanks / Like

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Really nice article. I, too, failed baitcasting school. The one I bought ended up given to a buddy that claimed he could use it.
    Maybe the next time I get a chance, I'll set the thing up as the article said and try again!
    Good thread!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I always adjust mine per weight of lure, or bait+sinker. If you adjust your reel so that it drops slowly when you press your release button, then you can cast with light thumb pressure on the reel. If you try to cast too hard, it can, and will most likely backlash. Once you get the feel of it, you can ease off the setting allowing it to be somewhat looser. Most baitcasters these days have a drag adjustment, and a reel pressure adjustment. Adjust your reel preasure for casting, and your drag for the size line you are using. It is the reel preasure you want to adjust to whatever the weight of your lure/bait. Welcome to the USA and enjoy the fishing!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the States and enjoy the visit or the stay which ever you choose.

It might help if you tell us what make and model reel you are using. And what type of rod you are trying to use.

Flipping, pitching and all the ohter stuff are just lables. There are many ways to throw the bait toward the fish.

The main cast I use is the overhead cast. But each reel is slightly different in how you set it up. I like to adjust the tension on my reel so that my bait barely drops when the reel is released. The tension on the side of the rod is adjusted to allow the lure that you are fishing with to barley fall. After I do that I adjust the magnetic things on my reels. Todays rods have centrifugal settings that you have to open up the side face of the reel and adjust those to your liking and style of casting. My reels are older and don't have those adjustments. I really think the magnetic things are good. Make sure that you fill the reel but don't overfill it. Get new line on the reel each year. Line type and strenght depends on your preferences. There are all type of lines out these days ranging from braided to monfiliment to P Flourocarbon lines. All will make a little difference in how you cast.

When the reel is adjusted properly you are ready to cast. I also thumb the spool with the my right thumb. It takes a lot of practice to get the feel on how to do this. I recommend getting a rubber casting bait that is made just for practicing casting. ie there are no hooks and it bounces off stuff without harming stuff. Set up a target out in the back yard or go to a park to do this. Most reels have a release that when engaged lets the reel spin freely. The only thing stopping the reel from spinning around is the friction adjustment setting on the side of the reel and your thumb pressure. I hold the reel in my right hand and move the rod from the back 10 oclock position and smooth accelerate the rod forward from that postion to the front and stop with the rod pointed at my target and parallel to the ground or lake. As the bait nears the water or target I start applying more thumb pressure to the spool to slow the line down to avoid overruns. I call the "rat's nests" and they are the worse thing about fishing. I learned to cast using old reels with no magnetic stops or brakes of any kind. Only my thumb stood between me and another rat's nest and time off to untangle the line on the reel. I got pretty good at untangling the braided lines. But it always pays to have a pair of sharp scissors around to cut the line off the reel and re setup the line on the reel and though the rod guides.

Practice and having someone show you how to cast is about the only way to really get better. It's just too hard to describe how to do it with text.

Pitching to me is letting the bait hang down from a long 7.5 ft rod and then swinging the bait underhanded to a spot close to the boat. Flipping to me is doing the same thing but I'll bet that someone else will correct me on this. I am sure there is another way to fish that's called Flipping or Pitchin but I sure don't know what those are. Maybe someone will enlighten us both.

Quote Originally Posted by Stateside99
    A good hello to you all.

I am originally from England, UK or Britain, however you want to say it .

Anyway the thing is Im only used to fishing with an open or closed face reel.
    So, Ive messed around alittle with a baitcaster but with no luck whatsoever .

Anyone out there give a poor "limey" a little guidance of how to work one of these things with alittle dignity and accuracy????

Flip, toss and pitch are also totally foreign to me. So any explenation of these terms would be of great help.:D
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default casting

It can be very tough. I would have to say that practice as well as a good baitcaster are equally impt. I tried to learn casting with an old daiwa that did not have a single bearing in it and it casted OK only if i used heavy lures. I sprang for a Daiwa TD-x and it was like night and day. The reel was so smooth and casted so far. I practiced almost every day for about 15-30 min in my back yard. I set up blocks or stood on a chair and practiced pitching about 30-50 feet across my lawn trying to pitch under an apple tree. I will tell you it made a huge differance. You shoud practice the roll cast and pitch, dont try casting directly over head cast at about 45 degrees from verticle if you are going to cast normal. If you practice you will get better. To start put a 1/2oz jig on and go, you will do fine until you get the hang of thumbing the spool and adjusting the reel. Dont even bother trying to cast anything under 3/8. I was inspired by Denny Brauer back when he was on his winning streak. He said he practiced all winter flipping or pitching into a coffee cup untill he could put in in 99 out of 100 times without making a noise:rolleyes: . Im shure he is exangerating a little but practice works.

Sorry I post details on cast in an edit but lost it- look up roll casting on the net Kevin Vandam has instruction all over the place. Accuracy compes with lots of practice and is better with a shorter rod. Start with 5'5" or 6' max
    Last edited by robbor; 04-18-2006 at 07:05 PM.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast