Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor covering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floor covering

Put a new floor in my boat, 3/4" treated. Have heard of people using truck bed spray/roll on liners. Any thoughts Are all of them rated for wood? Looking for something that will do a better job of repelling the water. Carpet tends to fade and snag hooks. The boat gets stored outside, it does get a tarp put on it. Thank you. Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of that stuff being used, but it seems like it wear from now til forever. It might get awfully hot in the heat tho.

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat has any aluminum that will come in contact with the treated wood be sure to do some research about the affects that treated wood has on aluminum... I am in the process of replacing the floor in my pontoon and it has been an education nightmare as far as what you have to do to use treated wood to do this with.

Post Thanks / Like

I know people who use the roll or spray on for the aluminum but just not sure of using it on plywood, main thing about ply is sealing the edges so they dont stater to split or de-laminate after a few years .
    But here is a link to a type of vinyal flooring that I have on my boat . It has been on the boat outside main sun since I bought it in 07 an no problems at all with it , I have never used this company that I am posting the link but I am sure you can find it cheaper even on ebay or something .But for me it works great.
    And a suggestion if you are putting thin in a small aluminum or vee type boat I would try to wharp the edges with it to keep watter from soaking into the ply even though its treated . or even glue it up the wall about an inch or so with the cement so water does not flow down.
    The vinyal flooring has a little bit of cussion backing like a baot caarpet so it does give some cusion and hooks do not get stuck.
    The type I am talking about is the last one on the bottom .
    Hope this helps
    Pontoon Boat Carpet Kits
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

oh and also to mention about the roll or spray on you can go to their website and you can get it in cream or even white it is a little more expencive but would be better than black. And goes on nice you just use a textured roller but need to stir the can every time you dip the roller because it has chunks of rubber in it for the non skid.. Also I have even seen people use the rubber then sprinkle cleand sand then re roll it to get a better finish as well..here is a company with a color list , I a not indorcing any company just found a fast list of colors for you ..
    http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/colors.asp
    Gary
    Last edited by garyv; 12-21-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added link

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Leonard, what problems have they told you , my pontoon has a wood floor and when I looked there does not seem to be any coating or wrap that is on the edges where it meets the aluminum an so far no corrosion or anything?
    Just curius I know that marine ply is expencive but also heard that Home depot or lowes has 7 ply birch that you can get in treated but like 80 bucks a sheet I think..
    And I use mine in saltwater mostly and freshwater when specks are hitting..
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I would not take short cuts here. You will be better off to encapsulate the wood with a coat of fiberglass resin. Cut the wood to fit. Do the top and sides then do the bottom and the sides again. Before doing the sides the second time I would mechanically sand and wipe the edges with acetone to ensure the two applications will laminate together. If you have a seam in the middle of the floor use fiberglass cloth to cover the seam.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with brushnjigs too , but I think he has already put the floor in ? Not sure but that would be the best solution then put on a splatter coat of gel coat for non skid
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I like marine carpet and haven't had a problem with hooks getting snaged.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is a little more costly but, my neighbor has a boat just like mine (flat bottom G3) and he put the foam insulation in the board type between the ribs and then riveted a piece of THIN sheet metal that he rino lined to it. It looks sharp. The foam between the ribs keeps the sheet metal from bending or flexing plus added floatation (I hope I spelled that right). I personally like the textured vinyal. I don't have it YET but, have fished out of boats that do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast