PDA

View Full Version : Which BnM Rod Should I buy?

g3yamaha
12-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Guys I'm preparing to purchase some BnM rods for spider rigging and would like some advice on which to buy. I will generally be using with jigs and I'm not sure which is best for this? The Pro Series Troller or the Capps and Coleman Series for trolling?

Thanks for any help.
Merry Christmas!

feelay
12-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Can't really go wrong with either. I have owned both and like both. I currently use the C & C's and prefer them, but they have a learning curve that takes some getting used to.

crappie4me2
12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Can't really go wrong with either. I have owned both and like both. I currently use the C & C's and prefer them, but they have a learning curve that takes some getting used to.
I agree with feelay! I have used both but I also perfer my capps and coleman. My brother in law also uses regular jigging poles but that is what we all started out on before they came out with all the different types. You just can't beat BnM poles no matter which one you get.

birddog one
12-19-2011, 10:55 PM
not to high jack this thread but what do you mean learning curve?

blueball
12-19-2011, 11:55 PM
if u go with the capps and coleman ,thecrappiehotspot has a sale on the 14fters right now,not sure how long they will be on sale though

yikess
12-20-2011, 12:51 AM
not to high jack this thread but what do you mean learning curve?
The Capps & Coleman rods have a linear type of bend. In other words they start to bend almost at the handle which makes the longer versions more difficult to control when spider rigging. The very smooth bend also makes them strong and forgiving if you try to horse around a fish that would normally break the tip. I have had mine get caught on structure while slow trolling and get bent under the boat without breaking. You can also set the hook harder because the pole will adsorb some of the energy which may or may not be a good thing depending on the size fish you normally catch. Also in windy conditions you may have to adjust the amount of weight you are using to try and keep your baits as still as possible. C & C's are great rods but you have to get used to the amount of flex.

TDHcrappiemaster
12-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I use the 14' Pro Staff trolling rods myself. More back bone and still has the light action tip for detecting the light bite. You can control the fish a lot better and keep it out of the other lines.
I have used the Capps and Coleman but I couldn't get use to them. They just have to much bend to them for me.

Either way you can't go wrong with a B'n'M product.

Brad in MS
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
hey you should also look at the Roger Gant model called "the difference".

i have a couple of these and like them very much.

i also use one for the "float and fly" method for smallmouth bass.

rocket rich
12-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I prefer a stiff tip more so than the light weight rods can't think ;of the name?? I only use B@M

kingkrappie
12-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I like pst's for 1/4 oz or above, 14 ft bgjp's for pushin jigs

Little Skeeter
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
What all these guys have said is true. If you have the ability to put your hands on each type I would do that before pulling the trigger on several of them. Hold them and see how each one feels to you, as only you know what will work for your style of fishing as well as what you like in a pole.

Either way you cant go wrong with them, they are reliable poles. Just remember the differences that these guys have told you about them and best of luck to ya.

MEATGETTER
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
i have used both pro trollers and capps & coleman i like c&c the best the pts are to stiff for me. i have used other brands also i like te hi-tecs but most of theres are only 12ft. they do have a 14ft. but no replacement tip!!! i use 14ft only. i use minnows and push jigs also and i have had no problem with then!!!!!!!

Dutch552
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
I actually prefer the pro series trolling rods over the Capps and Coleman's. I push with heavier weights and like the stiffness of the PST over the parapolic curve of the CC's. To each their own. For pushing lighter jigs I have gone with either the Bucks Graphite Jigging Poles or Sam's Super Sensitive rods.

thankfull
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
I have the pro series as well 4- 16' and 2 20' like both sizes.

slab-in-the-box
12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't. You could get 5 or 6 pinnacle rods for the same price as 2 or 3 b n m rods. With the money you save on your spider rigging poles, you can buy some really nice jigging and casting rods. And you'll have money left over for reels to put on your spider rigging poles.

Countrytime
12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
The BnM Pro Staff Trollers in 14 ft. is my vote. Perfect blend of backbone for big fish and sensitive tip for the light bites plus the proper distance for shallow water fish. Handles like a 7 ft rod in your hand once acclimated to it. Good grief BnM ought to pay me I sound like one big infomercial.

for the loveofcrappie
12-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I prefer the 12'2 med action bnm nice backbone but sensitive tip to detect lite bites!

chaunc
12-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I prefer the Richard Williams model in 10 and 12ft. Very tough but sensitive enough to feel the lightest hits. Can haul 2lbers over the side with them.

crappiefarmer
12-21-2011, 08:23 AM
PST 12 and 16 footers in my boat. I love those rods. Get excellent hook sets, great backbone for swinging the fish directly to You for quick unhooking. I use 1/2 ounce of weight spider rigging jigs and they hold the weight at the tip good and keep there sensitivity under a load.CF

crappielimits
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I would put the money into better rods for less money, such as Crappie Maxx, Wally Marshall or even the Pinnacles.

creekslick
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I would at least look at the new Wally Marshall rods by Lew's. I had 2 10'er I use for pilling cranks and 2 12'er that I longline with and love them. Caught 2 hybrids on a 12'er the other day with no problems.