Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about casting rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about casting rods

I pulled the trigger and got a BPS Microlight casting rod (medium light) and BPS Extreme reel.

I noticed that the rod doesn't have a "hook-keeper" thing-ama-jig where you hook your lure when not in use. Is this common for casting rods? (I don't think I've ever seen a spinning rod without a hook-keeper)

I guess I can always install an aftermarket hook-keeper, but wanted to know if there's any particular reason why it's a no-no on a bait-casting set-up. I don't like hooking the lure to a guide because the hook might scratch the inside of the guide. Nor do I want to dig it into the cork handle every time (sooner or later the cork will wear away).

Post Thanks / Like

You can either ad the metal hoop with line and epoxy or jus do like we do with a cane pole get some large tight O Rings that roll over the rod tight , and put a few on because they do break after a while..
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Does it have a cork or rubber handle, I hook mine there if no hook keeper is on the rod, does just as good.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the way I do mine so it doesn't scratch the inside of the guide. I have a Micro Lite in glass (5 1/2 ) and graphite (6 1/2) both spinning. I just love the feel and have a Pflueger President on the 6 1/2 graphite....smooth sweet rig. I don't know why the Micro Lite graphite doesn't have hook keepers...? The glass does. I had a 7 ft graphite and it didn't have one either...it broke last week...stupid...don't ask.

Name:  IMG_3738.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  26.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the ideas. garyv has an interesting solution, somewhat like this aftermarket product:

The rod has a cork handle but I'd rather not put the hook in it because 1) it will eventually tear up the handle, and 2) I carry my rods by the handles and sure enough I'd grab the area where the hook is. Ouch!

Currently I'm placing the hook on the guide "leg" as shown in Gator's photo, but that's a little too close to the business part of the guide for me.

Most of all, I'm glad no one has said "yes, there's a good reason baitcasting rods don't have hook keepers....."
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Hooks can't scratch modern ceramic guides (say Fuji Hialoy or Alconite). Lower end metal guides will take lots of abuse before they will scratch (and they have to be lower end of the low end to do so). Braided line is more abrasive on guides than hooks (due to dirt embedded in the braid).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but mainly on a cane pole we just get big fat o-rings and roll them on also lets you adjust the line after you either wrap it around the line clamps , which I hate because they seem to kink the line then cause weak spots,
    I use mostly the 2 piece B&M rods 9 and 12 foot and just hook to the wire frame of the guide when I break the rod down and tighten it up a little bit..
    But just remembered we also used the larger #64 rubber bands as well for can poles and wrap them 4 or 5 times and gives a good place for the hook and hides the barb so the poles dont get tangled together as bad either.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason they don't do it is because it saves them 30-40 cents a rod. This doesn't say much for these companies because of all the grief it causes us with tangled lines. I bought a couple of inexpensive (cheap) rods that I like the other day and none of them had a place for the hook. I used a wire tie (piece of plastic you stick thru the other end and cinch it down) and tightened it but left enough room to get a hook thru it. You have to make sure to get it out of your way where it hangs underneath the rod.

My point being, I would much rather pay another little bit and have it installed the right way the first time. Then I could just enjoy the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great idea! I think I'll use a tie-wrap with a split ring. Unless I've got a tie-wrap that has a integral screw-eye (but I think I used the last of those I had). Many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

gator bait wat size head is tht black and char jig/woolly jig?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast