Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer problems

I've been having problems with my computer for some time. Have to log on 2-3 times just to get logged on to Crappie.com even though I make sure to put the correct information in each time. Frustrating!

I was wondering what most of you do when you get a virus or whatever it is that causes your computer to work at about 20% of what it should be doing.

Looked into Geek Squad at Best Buy but negative reviews make it sound like it's basically a ripoff and not worth the money. I don't feel comfortable taking this to someone I don't know. You really can't be sure if they are honest or not. My problem is going to someone who can do this but you don't know if they are honest or not and if they can get credit card info where you have ordered something on the internet and use it. I know these sites that use PayPal are supposed to be secure but I'm still old school and don't completely trust these things to be 100% secure.

My question is what do you do when you think you have a virus or whatever it is on your computer. I have McAfee on my computer and it says there are no problems but I hear it's outdated and doesn't do much to protect your computer against new viruses.

The reason I ask on this site is people are very helpful and can usually be counted on to give you good information. Thanks for the help.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you clicking the remember me box when you log on?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Ad-Aware, AVG 2012, and Malewarebytes' Anti Maleware................all free programs I downloaded off the 'net. Keeps me clean!Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

For the last year, I've been using Norton's Internet Security program. Do a lot of web browsing and have not been "hit" yet!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Download the free version of Malewarebytes here...
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It is not antivirus... You need some form of antivirus running constantly...

It is not real time protection.. It is search and destroy...for spyware...
    Keep it updated and run it at least once a week...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

its just the nature of the beast. You can have whatever free or paid programs you having running. Sooner or later its going to happen. Remember the virus always comes first, if you don't keep your virus definitions updated and scan regularly you are already behind the game.

if you do suspect you have a virus, malware, or spyware I would recommend to download malware bytes, spybot search and destroy from cnet.com. Install programs and reboot your computer in safe mode. In safe mode your pc runs the minimal drivers to operate. In safe mode do full scans with malware bytes and spybot. Once finished restart and return to safe mode. Download and run the microsoft online scanner. Restart into safe mode one more time. In safe mode run your antivirus in full slow mode. Then you can restart to normal mode. In normal mode I run all the scans again. It can take all day long to do this, but usually about 85% successful.

Problem areas are when the virus has really been unleashed and it won't allow you to run these programs without some tricks. And sometimes the viruses attach themselves to system files that when removed by the anti virus programs really mess up your system. Also some of the viruses will hide your icons and shortcuts, but this can be handled by some programs on the net.

If you need someone else to take care of that It shouldn't cost you no more than 30-50 dollars.

But the only way to say 100% sure that the virus is takin care of it a reformat of your drive..

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Also... Here is a good free junk files cleaner...
    CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It can be set up to run automatically or manually..
    I have mine set up to run at every startup...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Also... Here is a good free junk files cleaner...
    CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It can be set up to run automatically or manually..
    I have mine set up to run at every startup...

Rickie
    this is also a good program to help clean up temporary internet files where a good portion of the viruses will be coming from. Just be carefull when running the registry scans make sure to safe a copy of them before you clean your registry.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one computer (laptop) that got so junked up I decided to re-format the drive (wipes out ALL information - good and bad).

Then I put Linux on it instead of Windows. Everything about the computer is better now. Start-up/Shutdown is super fast. Never hangs, etc.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnacle Bill told you straight. Click on the little "remember me" box when you log-in and your troubles will go away. Just remember, if you "log off" you'll have to go through the whole process again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast