PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems

Bronson
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been having problems with my computer for some time. Have to log on 2-3 times just to get logged on to Crappie.com even though I make sure to put the correct information in each time. Frustrating!

I was wondering what most of you do when you get a virus or whatever it is that causes your computer to work at about 20% of what it should be doing.

Looked into Geek Squad at Best Buy but negative reviews make it sound like it's basically a ripoff and not worth the money. I don't feel comfortable taking this to someone I don't know. You really can't be sure if they are honest or not. My problem is going to someone who can do this but you don't know if they are honest or not and if they can get credit card info where you have ordered something on the internet and use it. I know these sites that use PayPal are supposed to be secure but I'm still old school and don't completely trust these things to be 100% secure.

My question is what do you do when you think you have a virus or whatever it is on your computer. I have McAfee on my computer and it says there are no problems but I hear it's outdated and doesn't do much to protect your computer against new viruses.

The reason I ask on this site is people are very helpful and can usually be counted on to give you good information. Thanks for the help.

Barnacle Bill
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Are you clicking the remember me box when you log on?

gabowman
12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
I use Ad-Aware, AVG 2012, and Malewarebytes' Anti Maleware................all free programs I downloaded off the 'net. Keeps me clean!Thumbs Up

Crestliner08
12-19-2011, 12:07 PM
For the last year, I've been using Norton's Internet Security program. Do a lot of web browsing and have not been "hit" yet!

rnvinc
12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Download the free version of Malewarebytes here...
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html)

It is not antivirus... You need some form of antivirus running constantly...

It is not real time protection.. It is search and destroy...for spyware...
Keep it updated and run it at least once a week...

Rickie

bayouXpress
12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
its just the nature of the beast. You can have whatever free or paid programs you having running. Sooner or later its going to happen. Remember the virus always comes first, if you don't keep your virus definitions updated and scan regularly you are already behind the game.

if you do suspect you have a virus, malware, or spyware I would recommend to download malware bytes, spybot search and destroy from cnet.com. Install programs and reboot your computer in safe mode. In safe mode your pc runs the minimal drivers to operate. In safe mode do full scans with malware bytes and spybot. Once finished restart and return to safe mode. Download and run the microsoft online scanner. Restart into safe mode one more time. In safe mode run your antivirus in full slow mode. Then you can restart to normal mode. In normal mode I run all the scans again. It can take all day long to do this, but usually about 85% successful.

Problem areas are when the virus has really been unleashed and it won't allow you to run these programs without some tricks. And sometimes the viruses attach themselves to system files that when removed by the anti virus programs really mess up your system. Also some of the viruses will hide your icons and shortcuts, but this can be handled by some programs on the net.

If you need someone else to take care of that It shouldn't cost you no more than 30-50 dollars.

But the only way to say 100% sure that the virus is takin care of it a reformat of your drive..

rnvinc
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Also... Here is a good free junk files cleaner...
CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/)

It can be set up to run automatically or manually..
I have mine set up to run at every startup...

Rickie

bayouXpress
12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Also... Here is a good free junk files cleaner...
CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/)

It can be set up to run automatically or manually..
I have mine set up to run at every startup...

Rickie

this is also a good program to help clean up temporary internet files where a good portion of the viruses will be coming from. Just be carefull when running the registry scans make sure to safe a copy of them before you clean your registry.

bdorman
12-19-2011, 02:06 PM
I had one computer (laptop) that got so junked up I decided to re-format the drive (wipes out ALL information - good and bad).

Then I put Linux on it instead of Windows. Everything about the computer is better now. Start-up/Shutdown is super fast. Never hangs, etc.

jigflinger
12-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Barnacle Bill told you straight. Click on the little "remember me" box when you log-in and your troubles will go away. Just remember, if you "log off" you'll have to go through the whole process again.

beagle man
12-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I verry seldom have a problem, Norton is one of the virus cleaners i use and I use ARO reg.cleaner and scanner no problems here,,, well lots of the time I can not log on before 8 am... but that is eaven getting better.

longliner
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Lots of good info here. I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and the CCleaner and have no problems, its all free plus ontop of my regular virus and spyware program which I do pay for. Just can't be too safe nowdays!! Crappie.com is one of my slower sites but still have no problem.

satdoc1
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I have been having sort of the same problem too. I log on and CHECK the remember me box but it wont remember me. Slab doesnt think it is on his end but I have cleaned out this computer and redone everything I know to do and it still makes me log in each time I come to the site.

Hookedonslabs
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Been using Norton 360 for 4 plus years on 2 laptops and a desktop with not the slightest problem, VERY satisfied and worth the cost, approx $70 but you can catch it on sale at office depot for 1/2 that around Christmas. May seem pricey to some, but having the virus removed will cost much more, not to mention the possiblity of loosing important files and photos. I wouldn't trust anything else!!

TigerFanatic1
12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Lots of great ideas on here. Personally, if I were to go with a free software, I would use AVG. MalwareBytes and etc. work wonders too. If you suspect a virus, first download which ever software you prefer and unplug your internet before running it. I've issues in the past where the virus would disable or 'overlook' the software when it could communicate via the web. This is sometimes an issue with the free removal software. Good luck.

I forgot to answer the first question. I have noticed that I can't open crappie.com and log on right away. If I hurry and click in the login box, it doesn't erase the word username. I have to wait until the page it finished loading, which seems to be the same time a yellow banner pops up across the page. I can't even remember what the banner says.

Crappiegirl1
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I have been having same problem

From the phone of Crappiegirl1

Charlie2
12-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I use an free anti virus program named AVG which is a real good one. Beware of some of the so called antivirus programs; they are viruses themselves. Don't even click on them. Be suspicious of any that say antivirus 2012 in the title.

As far as logging on: I have had several sites that didn't 'remember' me even when the block was checked. I had to go through the whole 'forget password' thing. Very frustrating.

I use Google Chrome for a browser. I did use Firefox until I tried Chrome. It has lightning speed and is free. C2

Turtlebait
12-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I think you will find out Mc'fee is slowing your pc down.
To find out go to your control panel and unstall.....you can reinstall by going to thier web site.After you unstall it come back here and see if its faster.

superdave67
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
-As stated...AVG Free is a good anti-virus program!
-Malwarebytes AntiMalware is a very good tool to use if your computer has been infected...just be sure to update it BEFORE you run a scan.
-SpyBot Search & Destroy is also a good one...also update it before scanning

I just spent 4 hrs. tonite trying to fix this computer...g/f was on computer last night and picked up a virus somewhere. When trying to search the web it would redirect me to various advertising websites.
I finally was able to get on a legit website and found a fix..it's called COMBOFIX...and it's awesome!!!
I downloaded it and let it run and it cleared all the unwanted crap off the computer and I'm back up and running.
Combofix is a little more complicated to set-up then the others I mentioned...but once you get it up and running it does everything on it's own.

Charlie2
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info. C2

dandeman
12-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I have been building/repairing computers and building websites for over 15 years. Computer viruses are all over the internet, especially on websites offering free music/movie/software downloads. In my opinion the most diabolical computer virus ever written is called WINDOWS!!! Now I use MAC/Apple to do my work.

Both Norton and McAfee are resource hogs and can bog a system down themselves, and I've seen both of them not detect infections that a free anti-virus program detected, namely AVG. I now use free programs on Windows systems I work on that provide excellent protection and the anti-virus I use comes with a firewall built in. Below is a list of programs which, if definitions are updated frequently and the programs run regularly, should keep a system running smoothly other than the things indiginous to running in a Windows environment. I recommend using these programs on a Windows system even if you have no problems YET! I also recommend uninstalling McAfee and Norton.

Here ya go, just click on the links below to go to download pages.

PC Tools Anti-Virus Free
(http://free.pctools.com/free-antivirus/)
cCleaner
(http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)
RegCure (http://www.regcure.com/) (If you choose to update to newer version, you have to buy the program)

MalWareBytes Anti-MalWare

(http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free)
Good luck in your efforts to keep the systems running smoothly.

dandeman

Bronson
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
It took me forever to get it up and running again today. Made me want to fix the computer out back with my 12 gauge. I appreciate the many suggestions and definitely will be thinking about it and plan on trying out a couple of your suggestions.

I did notice that no one encouraged using the Geek Squad from Best Buy. Any reasons?

Thanks again for your help. I saw tons more good information here than I did when I went to reviews about computer programs to eliminate viruses.

rnvinc
12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Here is a good free tech advice site...If all else fails...
protonic.com - Fast, Friendly, Free Computer Help and Support; Trusted. Free Downloads. (http://www.protonic.com/?page=login)

Once you register and ask a question....a technician will be assigned to your question and you will work one-on-one with that technician until your question is answered...

These guys will answer just about any tech questions for free...

Rickie

bayouXpress
12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
yes, norton and mcafee especially the paid version if all bells and whistles are activated will slow down your pc unless your running one of the latest greatest rigs.. Even with AVG free I don't activate the email scanner and link scanner, etc. I'm not a hardware guy, but been around for a long time writing programs (the good ones). I do clean and and fix pc's on the side and at work.

some of the viruses get a little nasty and sometimes all of these programs combined will not remove or find them. Rootkits for example get hard to detect and remove. Some progs for that are TDSSKiller and rkill. Some will get so bad that you can't even log on to windows and you will need a disc or usb stick that you can boot to and run scans with. Just depends on how much time your willing to give up and if you really need files off the pc. If it gets to this point I'd definitely recommend a reformat and clean OS install

ZACK
12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
it maybe that you are running an older version of IE. if you are you will have to wait untill jan.2012 to fix it. windows is comming out with a fix-all, but your puter must be on automatic update. iam having simular problems,like cant update cant find dll. file or old wersion of IE is not compatible.the up to date version should be IE #9

bdorman
12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
it maybe that you are running an older version of IE. if you are you will have to wait untill jan.2012 to fix it. windows is comming out with a fix-all, but your puter must be on automatic update. iam having simular problems,like cant update cant find dll. file or old wersion of IE is not compatible.the up to date version should be IE #9

IMHO you'd be much better off with either Firefox browser or Chrome browser. IE (any version) is a clunker.

superdave67
12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
dandeman...
The Trojan Horse I picked up the other night was a nasty one! I finally found "pike.exe" in the process list in Task Manager and ended the process...but it respawned about every 30 sec. to a minute...made it very difficult to get anything done.
Malwarebytes, Super AntiSpyware and Spybot would not even phase this Trojan...finally found Combofix and was able to stop the "pike.exe" long enough to download it...Combofix got my Trojan on the first try.
This was the first time that Malwarebytes didn't work for me.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you do this type of work on a regular basis...it was a big help for me.

For everyone else.... cnet.com (http://cnet.com) is a good, safe place to download tools, antivirus and spyware applications. Just go to the "Downloads" tab and click on it to search for an application that suits your needs. They have free downloads or downloads that you can purchase on their site.

river slabs are better
12-21-2011, 07:59 PM
you need a mac!!!!

dandeman
12-22-2011, 07:34 AM
you need a mac!!!!

amen!!!

dandeman
12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
FANTASTIC!!! I'll add that to my arsenal. Thanks!
For anyone interested. Download it HERE (http://www.combofix.org/)
dandeman...
The Trojan Horse I picked up the other night was a nasty one! I finally found "pike.exe" in the process list in Task Manager and ended the process...but it respawned about every 30 sec. to a minute...made it very difficult to get anything done.
Malwarebytes, Super AntiSpyware and Spybot would not even phase this Trojan...finally found Combofix and was able to stop the "pike.exe" long enough to download it...Combofix got my Trojan on the first try.
This was the first time that Malwarebytes didn't work for me.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you do this type of work on a regular basis...it was a big help for me.

For everyone else.... cnet.com (http://cnet.com) is a good, safe place to download tools, antivirus and spyware applications. Just go to the "Downloads" tab and click on it to search for an application that suits your needs. They have free downloads or downloads that you can purchase on their site.

bdorman
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
amen!!!
[/center]

Or, if you want to use your existing hardware just switch over to Linux. LinuxMint is a good version for non-techies.

dandeman
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Or, if you want to use your existing hardware just switch over to Linux. LinuxMint is a good version for non-techies.
I'll have to check that out, the last Linux OS I used several years ago was called Lindows, but Microsoft sued them to have the name changed due to copyright of the name Windows which sounds like Lindows. Is that crazy or what? Thanks!!!

possum0179
02-12-2012, 04:46 AM
This is what i do for a living computer repairs and upgrades.. The free programs that someone already listed above are good you need to uninstall Norton ..Install AVG free version its firewall plus virus protection ,,install Malwarebytes' Anti- Malware , Ccleaner, Spybot-Search& Destroy run these programs fix what it finds and you should be working fine all of these can be found at download.com after all is working make sure you download all your windows updates

weekendangler
02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
When I have a problem with my computer and I think it was infected the first thing I do is a system restore. I "roll the computer back " to a previous date where I didn't have problems. However if u wait too long you may not be able to do this. Then once I restore the CPU I run my programs spy bot and Windows crudentials or Windows defender. All of these are free programs. If all else fails I reformat the hard drive.

GRIZZ
02-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I also own a computer service business - 17 yrs. A couple things to add to the above. Make sure you have one 1 antivirus and 1 antimalware program installed. Having multiple progs creates conflicts. 3 good free antivirus progs. All are good and free. AVG, Avast, Avira. Uninstall any programs that are old and that you don't use. Malwarebytes is very good, but for most people I install Advanced System Care. It kills malware and is a very good pc maintenance prog all in 1. Sometimes I install malwarebytes, run it once then uninstall it and install ASC alone for future use. Remember there are a lot of crap programs out there. Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://www.download.com) at CNET is the best resource for software online. If they don't have it you don't need it. They are very good at screening out bad progs. Adaware and spybot are old pigs. Toss em and use the newer progs. Also use mutiple browsers. I use Firefox primarily, but a use Chrome a lot and sometimes even Opera. I NEVER use IE. It's not as bad as it once was, but it's still evil and not user friendly like the others.

One more thing. Try the newest version of Ubuntu. Most people who are used to Windows will now be able to use it easily. It's stable, simple, and secure with no antivirus or anti malware needed. I have tried it on and off over the years but never liked it till now. If Win7 wasn't so good now I'd use it as primary for sure. As it is my laptop has them both on it now in duel boot configuration.

Slabs Inc
02-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Buy a iPhone=DONE

Fatman
02-13-2012, 01:29 AM
I kept getting errors in the last week and have all the scans back and everythings is clean. Go to your control panel and check JAVA and see if it's updated!!!! Once I did this I didn't get any problems.