Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Opinions on Zebco Platinum 33 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Opinions on Zebco Platinum 33 ?

I'm looking to get the kids new reels, I saw the "new" Zebco Platinum 33 has 5 bearings and cont. anti-reverse. For $24 you can't beat the price, and the one bearing 33 "Authentic" I tired felt very smooth compared to the older 33's so four more bearings should be alot smoother. Any opinions good or bad ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had much luck with the 33 series - the wife and friends have chewed through many. However, the new Zebco Omega series is another story ... pros are even using them in tournaments (believe it, a spincast in a pros arsenal) - they are very well built and super smooth. They even come with an extra spool and it is a quick thing to change it out - nice for the folks that seem to believe you should crank against the tension! The only issue is that they are double the price at $49 - you can occasionally find them paired with a nice matching rod for $75. My believe is that over time they will cost considerably less to own than the 33's.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a friends "new" 33 Authentic for white bass fishing this year. Caught over 100 white bass in the 2 lbs. range and a 3 1/2 lbs drum with no problems whatsoever. I made hundreds of cast with a 1/4 oz. shad jig. I was impressed and felt it to be an overall improvment from the old 33's. However, most of what I've read on the net about the 33's has lead me to believe people don't like them or that there junk so I'm alittle confused. I'm on a limited budget so $25 for a reel is about as high as I liked to go, though a Omega for me would be nice :D

Post Thanks / Like

they are not junk i have and my grandparents and his father has used them for years i even lost one due to dropping it into the lake and recoverd it that winter when they droped the water and it still works good tho i have converted to open faced reals now

Post Thanks / Like

The first reel I ever had was a "33" and i still have it today. It is from about 1968 and still works to this day. I have several of them that still work and some that are just worn out. I feel that the new "33" would be great for the kids. They should get years of enjoyment from them. At that price I don't feel you can go wrong.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Omega Z02 model and am very happy with them. They are smooth and feel very well built. I also have the larger Z03 (same size as a 33) and am pleased with it as well.

I think for $50 you are getting a reel that performs as well as a higher priced reel. I too have heard that the Omegas are being used in competition but have not seen that on tv or anything. I haven't looked at the Zebco web site, do they mention which pros are using Omegas?

I also have a couple of 33's on the rods my wife uses and they have worked just fine for her for crappie. I went with the lower priced reels for her just because she has a tendancy to drop rods in the lake once in awhile. :D To me though, the 33's just don't feel as smooth as the Omegas.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

back in the day the 33 was the reel of choice it was good enough then but now everybody just as to many to pick from i think
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I will bet more crappie have been caught on Zebco 33s than all of the rest combined. I bought a new Zebco Omega reel and it is certainly a big improvement over a 33. They are very smooth and cast much farther.
    I also bought a new Prostaff Series 20/30. It came with a rod for less than $25. It is OK but not the reel the Omega reel is.
    I catch a lot of fish on my Zebcos and they don't give me much grief. I fish with a number of different Zebco 33s I bought at yard sales for $5. The crappie don't seem to mind being caught by a $5 reel.
    My buddy reels in 20 pound channel catfish in on his Zebco 33s. You guys can turn up your noses but I catch fish and it is the guy using the reel, not the reel that catchs fish.