Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Crappie eat Readear?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will Crappie eat Readear?

I was going to restock a small pond with just Crappie and Redear, I was thinking that the Redear would be the food source for the Crappie, Is this a bad idea?

thanks

flymoron

Post Thanks / Like

I would use fat head minnows the spawn 2-3 times a year and cost alot less

Post Thanks / Like

would I need to replenish the minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 18 acrea lake here at the house that I put 18 lbs of fat heads in last spring by aug. I had bait pods all over the lake in the evening I will do it again this spring. Then I won't do it again til I see that fish are looking poorly . The good thing about fat heads is they only get 3-4" long at most as your red ears get bigger the will start to compete with the crappie for food . The kansas DnR says 1 lbs per suface acrea. I pay $9.00 per lbs 3 lbs of fat heads is around a 1000 fish. hope this helps
    Last edited by birddog one; 12-16-2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: addtional info

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Birddog, that does help me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog one View Post
    I have a 18 acrea lake here at the house that I put 18 lbs of fat heads in last spring by aug. I had bait pods all over the lake in the evening I will do it again this spring. Then I won't do it again til I see that fish are looking poorly . The good thing about fat heads is they only get 3-4" long at most as your red ears get bigger the will start to compete with the crappie for food . The kansas DnR says 1 lbs per suface acrea. I pay $9.00 per lbs 3 lbs of fat heads is around a 1000 fish. hope this helps
    Wow 18 that's a big pond.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

yes it nice I landed 3 over 17" this year. I have white, black and black nose crappie in it. It's lot of fun for the the kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything I've ever read on the subject says to either not stock crappie in a small pond or to use a lot of caution in doing so. I'd talk to your state wildlife agency and get some info from them on when/what to stock.

Here's one article I found. I just Googled "stocking crappie in ponds" and got a lot of hits.

Pond Stocking Recommendations and Management

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest private I have ever been on was 8. The place I take care of is right at a thousand acres and not a spring fed pond on it.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

that sucks I have 9 ponds here I mange all of them for fishing the smallest is 2 acres the bigest is 18. The Kansas DnR suggest not putting crappie in any thing smaller than 5 acres. But I think if thats all your stocking in it you'll be ok. I would put catfish and crappie together with know worries. The issue is mixing bass and crappie .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast