Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Angler 12 volt filet knives, any good ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Angler 12 volt filet knives, any good ??

Bought a new one the other day in 12 volt, was wandering if these are any good or junk. I also bought one in 110, kept smelling the knife the more i used it, like it was overheating or something. Just wandering about the quality of these. If this brand is junk, who makes a tough one that will make the slabs fly??? Thanks. ( Haven't used my 12 volt yet )

Post Thanks / Like

Lum - If that is the brand you can buy at Walmart I returned mine after using it twice and having it smell hot both tlmes. I bought a Mr. Twister in 110 and recently purchased a Rapala cordless which comes with two batteries so one can be recharged while using the other. The Rapala is rather costly, but well worth it as many of the cleaning stations on the reservoir I fish do not have electricity. I have been pleased with both the Mr. Twister and Rapala.
    Ken

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My fishin partner got one of the 12V models a couple years ago. So far it has worked great. I've got one of the Mister Twister 110 models. It must be 7-8 years old and still works good. That smell should go away after using it a while. If not, hopefully you can return it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

ive got two 12 volt american angler and two 110. ive been using em for years and so far havent had any problems with em. I keep the two 110's at my fish cleaning table out back and the 2 12 volts in the boat. Ive never noticed any "hot" smells coming from em.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Both of them

I have had a Mister Twister electric for about 10 years and it's been a very good one.
    I recieved an American Angler last Xmas as a gift and, have only used it about half dozen times so it's too early to tell if it will be as good as the Twister.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Sorry, don't know about 12V's, but..

I have a American Angler 110V and Mr Twister 110V elec knives. They both get a bit warm, when filetting a bunch of fish, but they keep on cutting. I use the AA110 as my primary filet knife, with the MT110 as a backup. Both work fine - it's just that I purchased extra long blades for the AA, and the AA has a straight elec cord -- which allows me to reach elec sockets with no strain, or pulling force against the knife ... my MT has a coiled elec cord, and it works fine if the elec socket is close to the cutting area - otherwise I'm holding it/pulling it against the coil of the cord while trying to filet. If one is cleaning a large number of fish (as I did at the Fall Brawl :D ), then you don't want the extra stress on your arm ....LOL!!! ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Angler 12 volt DC Filet Knives

Lum;

I have one of those and have fileted about 50 crappie with it so far. So far it's working pretty good. I don't smell anything burning ...yet. I have the improved version that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I use the knife with one of those lead acid battery jumper packs from Vector which has a 12 volt cigarette plug built into the jumper thing. It's portable and I can take it with me where ever I go. Most fish cleaning stations have 110 volt 60htz power outlets and I can get a AC to DC power converter plug from Radio Shack to convert any 110 outlet into a 12V DC cigarette type outlet. Larry from Southern IN had one of those at his summer house on Patoka Lake and he let me use it to run my 12 v filet knife. It worked like a charm.

I have another American Angler 12volt system that runs on Nickle Metal Hydroxide Batteries and I can't seem to get the power that I need with it. I don't really use it anymore. It may be that I just have not really charged it up good but I don't know for sure. Last year I used it at the TeeZur Crappie Tournament and it' failled me on the first crappie that I tried to filet. It just lost power as soon as I started cutting into the fish. But after that I took it back home and charged it up some more and it seemed to work better.

I think that the best knifes would run on electrical outlets and not use the batteries. But I like the portablity of the rechargeable ones as you don't have to fool with a power cord getting in the way. If only they could design some better batteries for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    Bought a new one the other day in 12 volt, was wandering if these are any good or junk. I also bought one in 110, kept smelling the knife the more i used it, like it was overheating or something. Just wandering about the quality of these. If this brand is junk, who makes a tough one that will make the slabs fly??? Thanks. ( Haven't used my 12 volt yet )
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Lum;

I have one of those and have fileted about 50 crappie with it so far. So far it's working pretty good. I don't smell anything burning ...yet. I have the improved version that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I use the knife with one of those lead acid battery jumper packs from Vector which has a 12 volt cigarette plug built into the jumper thing. It's portable and I can take it with me where ever I go. Most fish cleaning stations have 110 volt 60htz power outlets and I can get a AC to DC power converter plug from Radio Shack to convert any 110 outlet into a 12V DC cigarette type outlet. Larry from Southern IN had one of those at his summer house on Patoka Lake and he let me use it to run my 12 v filet knife. It worked like a charm.

I have another American Angler 12volt system that runs on Nickle Metal Hydroxide Batteries and I can't seem to get the power that I need with it. I don't really use it anymore. It may be that I just have not really charged it up good but I don't know for sure. Last year I used it at the TeeZur Crappie Tournament and it' failled me on the first crappie that I tried to filet. It just lost power as soon as I started cutting into the fish. But after that I took it back home and charged it up some more and it seemed to work better.

I think that the best knifes would run on electrical outlets and not use the batteries. But I like the portablity of the rechargeable ones as you don't have to fool with a power cord getting in the way. If only they could design some better batteries for them.
    I have a Rapala 12 volt knife and I like. It has its own 110 to 12 volt power converter and is in a nice carry case with a small fillet board. I would like a good 110 knife also, I think they would have more power.

duane
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    I have a Rapala 12 volt knife and I like. It has its own 110 to 12 volt power converter and is in a nice carry case with a small fillet board. I would like a good 110 knife also, I think they would have more power.

duane
    Just purchased the American Angler 12 volt with the cigarette lighter adapter and have cleaned a couple messes of crappie with it . By far the best knife I have used. Performed as well as I expected. Don't think you can go wrong with this outfit. Hope this helps.........treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Default knives

Thanks to all that replied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast