Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tough Time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Time

Getting pretty darn cold up here in the northeast. Water temps hovering around 37 degrees. Air temps during the day have a hard time making it to 40 degrees, with night time dropping into the upper teens. Water is still open however. So I've been fishing from shore almost every day, for at least a couple of hours, until it ices over.

There are several spots where I have access to deeper water, but these are small reservoirs and with the recent rain, the water has clouded up quite a bit; max. vis. about 1'. Targeting the dam areas on these two bodies of water, with depths to about 12'. Been catching some crappie & very respectable perch on 2" curlies, but it's hit or miss, catching one or two here....one or two there. Nothing like the action I was getting a couple of weeks ago even. Most action has come on a float rig, suspending two 1/32 oz. jig & tube combos about a foot apart and slow reeling back to my position.

Outside of live bait (I prefer artificials, sorry), am I missing any presentations that increase my catch ratio? Or is time to pack it in? I know this is a tough question, but I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I may be overlooking. Thanks muchly.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try adding spray scent or nibbles...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I don't run into water temps that low down here but you might try slowing up your presentation as much as you can. I know the fish are less aggressive as the temps drop.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I do use Megastrike on all my plastics, tubes or curlytails. Not sure if that's the best option, but it's done right by me for bass fishing. Went out this morning for about 1 1/2 hrs. and didn't get a single bite. Tried Mann's 2" Bass Assassins - with the thin, round straight tail. Slow crawled it across the bottom in two different areas that previously produced good bites. Tried a smoke & silver color and a chartreuse sparkle in this bait. But nada! Maybe I'll try a tube.

I'm inclined to think that they might be suspended, but not sure? Suspended a couple of tubes under a bobber, about 1' apart, but nothing there either, even though I varied the depths presented. The only other place they could be is shallower than the dam areas, but that doesn't make sense to me, for this time of the year. Guess I'll just have to keep trying different areas and presentations. Something's gotta work before ice up. Time's running out for me! :D
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."