Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: yo-yos

Post Thanks / Like

Default yo-yos

how often should you check your yo-yos?
    I put some out on a creek near my house, so i am not on a lake "running" them. I was thinking I would check every 2 hrs or so. Is that too long?

Post Thanks / Like

We check ours way more often than that.
    I think the law states you have to be within sight of the yo-yos or hearing of the yo-yos at all times. Not sure how the rule exactly reads, but I am pretty sure what you are doing is not exactly legal..... not that I really care what you do, since it's your ticket if you get caught.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

As quoted from AGFC regs....... So I guess it depends if you hang em at night or during the day.

Yo-Yo Fishing – Up to 30 yo-yos (or similar mechanical devices) per person may be used as long as they are not left unattended (out of sight or hearing) during daylight hours, and no more than one is hung from a line, wire, limb or support. Yo-yos Y must be labeled with the owner’s name and address or vehicle license number, or current vehicle number license number of the person using such equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I better go get them then. I am glad you all are here!! Thanks , I had no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

none of that would apply on private waters...But other than that, same law here in Sippi...You have to be within sight of them and the limit is 25 I think...

Post Thanks / Like

Another consideration, at least here in Louisiana, is that crappie don't stay alive on yo-yos for very long, in my experience. Pays to check often and take up when leaving. Catfish will live a lot longer on them.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Never even knew it was such a thing till i started fishing tournaments & saw it in the rules lol , Then , once at an estate aution, we bought one in a old box !! So Yes I have a YoYo !!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing my dad used to use was called a rubberband line. It had 25 feet of rope/string and a long rubber band on one end. You anchored the rubberband end with a rock or some big weight and tossed it in the water from the bank as far as you could. I think it had around ten hooks on it at a certain interval. When you needed to check the hooks or pull fish off, you just pulled the string which allowed the rubber to stretch. This is obviously used for bank fishing and it was neat, but I don't really remember how practical it was. The YO-Yo thing brought back this memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexFisher
    Another thing my dad used to use was called a rubberband line. It had 25 feet of rope/string and a long rubber band on one end. You anchored the rubberband end with a rock or some big weight and tossed it in the water from the bank as far as you could. I think it had around ten hooks on it at a certain interval. When you needed to check the hooks or pull fish off, you just pulled the string which allowed the rubber to stretch. This is obviously used for bank fishing and it was neat, but I don't really remember how practical it was. The YO-Yo thing brought back this memory.
    We have used those before, but mainly for catfishing. Basically it is a trot line with a large rubber band on it. Some guys still use them in this area, but they use them mainly from boats. It's easier to remover fish and keep your weight where you put it with the rubber band.
    Pretty neat item.
    Let Em' Land!

HunterRed Guest

There illegal down here in Texas. Seen a few out there but yeah, not supposed to use them here.