PDA

View Full Version : Alabama rig

High Bridge Hooker
12-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Just made 6 Alabama rigs for crappie can't wait to try them out.

barrelslime
12-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Show me an Alabama rig please

yellowjacket
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Pics plz?

Cane Pole
12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
How many hooks you using?

Cane Pole
12-11-2011, 05:06 PM
The Alabama Rig - Online Store (http://www.thealabamarig.com/thealabamarig.htm)

Blackhawk19
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I know their winning a lot of Bass Tournaments with them. What did you do, make the smaller and are you going to troll with them?

shipahoy41
12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Would love to see the results.

waterboy1
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
don't look much different from an umbrella rig

jaxsprat
12-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Illinois rule is 2 hooks per line so that makes the Alabama rig illegal here

SteveJ
12-12-2011, 06:14 AM
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL757/4885893/10083553/393095790.jpg

Crestliner08
12-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Illegal in my state!

chaunc
12-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Illegal up here too. Only diffrence i see from being an umbrella rig is it has a jighead attached as the front. Am i wrong?

Shellback
12-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Looks the same as an umbrella rig. I think it would be legal if you only ran a hook on one of the baits. That's how it's done in Maryland striper fishing.

chaunc
12-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Looks the same as an umbrella rig. I think it would be legal if you only ran a hook on one of the baits. That's how it's done in Maryland striper fishing.
Why even bother using it then. What if the fish are grabbing the other 3 hookless baits? Definetly not a YANKEE bait setup. rotfl

crappiefarmer
12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
If You were to only rig one bait with a hook, You would want to rig the most trailing bait.CF

Shellback
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Why even bother using it then. What if the fish are grabbing the other 3 hookless baits? Definetly not a YANKEE bait setup. rotfl

The rig I use in MD has 4 baits on the outer arms, and a center bait with a hook that trails behind the others. The predator fish is going to grab the last guy in line. Same principle as using flashers and flys trolling for trout and salmon on the Great Lakes. Personally I wouldn't try one for crappie, but just stated I think it would be legal with only one bait.

Blackhawk19
12-12-2011, 10:15 AM
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL757/4885893/10083553/393095790.jpg

Gettin rough around here! bashRoflRoflRoflRoflRofl

badbrad
12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Used to be a guy on the site who made crappie mini-brellas for trolling. Even was an article about them in crappie world. I ordered some, not to crappie fish with, but to troll for hybrids. They work great! Never tried them on crappie, but think they would work for long lining.

Boone1
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Just looking at them on the commercial site, I can't see what keeps them from tangling. Will someone tell why they don't.

shorebound1
12-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I just watched the FLW tour show the other day when they where on Guntersville and that is where it seems to have exploded in popularity. I belive the statement to be true about using only the number of hooks allowed by your state and leaving the rest hook less. Some of the bass guys would use a different color for the ones with hooks. I belive in certain situations that this could be a good tool. For example ( when crappie are hitting schooling shad in open water). just my 2 cents.

Slabs Inc
12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Band Wagon. I'm scared crappie fishing is headed were bass fishin and deer hunting is hanging out. Corporate City. The Alabama rig is old school, with a new name. Paul Elias just smoked the young boys using it on Guntersville during a FLW tourney. Now I'm seeing "Alabama Rig" every where I look. I've never heard it called that until... And now look. Google it and see what you find. Here's a pic.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1479/7046725/13491783/400035738.jpg

rnvinc
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Let's see...hmmm...

I spider rig 10 poles...

10 poles X 5 baits per alabama rigged pole...= 50 baits....

50 baits tipped with minnows is ... 4 dozen + 2....

Or I could add a dropper leader with a floating fly attached....that's 50 more baits...=100 baits.....

So many choices.... So little time...:)

Look out KY Lake... I'm a goin' seining...

Rickie

Uncle BS
12-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Would this rig not run too deep longlining ? 5 baits x 1/32= 5/32 + wt of rig (looks like 1/4 oz head & wire) probably gonna weigh close to 1/2 oz. Thats kinda heavy for pulling IMO.

CrappiePappy
12-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Just looking at them on the commercial site, I can't see what keeps them from tangling. Will someone tell why they don't.

Boone ... they don't tangle because the connection between the leading "head" and the trailing "baits" is WIRE, not line ;)

... cp

badbrad
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
The crappie mini-brella's aren't weighted much, You just run the clip of the swivel through the head if the soft plastic your using on the arms. The only hooked bait, was the trailing jig.

rnvinc
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Would this rig not run too deep longlining ? 5 baits x 1/32= 5/32 + wt of rig (looks like 1/4 oz head & wire) probably gonna weigh close to 1/2 oz. Thats kinda heavy for pulling IMO.

The alabama rig I got to touch had a molded plastic main head...

So the weight would be just the wires and the attached jigs...

Rickie

badbrad
12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I've never used one with each bait having a hook, but could always tell when something hit the teasers because the pole would bounce while trolling. I'd say 8 out if 10 times the hybrid would strike the trailing jig and hook up, pulling the line away from the downrigger. Again, not quite sure how all this would relate to using them for crappie.

badbrad
12-13-2011, 10:11 AM
The bass version does utilize a weighted jig head for each arm. Problem with them is finding a light enough jig head with s big enough hook. Think 1/8 oz is what they market with it. So throwing 5 1/8 ounce jigs would wear you out. That's why they are throwing them on a flipping stick with 60-80lb braid. Guy told me he uses s musky rod to throw them.

JSC
12-13-2011, 11:09 AM
The newest ones by Mann are using a molded "Tin Hed" instead of the plastic that they started with.

FishnNole
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM
At $27+ a pop I'd like to know how to build one.

Uncle BS
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I bought one last sat @ trade day a guy had made. Gonna give it a try but I'm thinkn I can rig it with 1/64 litewire hooks. That way if I get hung up maybe I wont loose the whole rig. Dem things are expensive !!

Slabs Inc
12-13-2011, 07:21 PM
O man I'm really biting my tounge. I guess I just don't see the whole picture or I'm just different than most people.

High Bridge Hooker
12-13-2011, 07:53 PM
five

High Bridge Hooker
12-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Made mine on a 1/2oz weight with 5 1/16oz jig heads and 2"paddle tails. I made 6 and I am going to try other baits tubes,grubs etc. I am going to troll mine.

High Bridge Hooker
12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I bought the light wires, jig heads, swim baits,swivels and lead head to make 6 at sportsman warehouse for $23. Took me a couple of hours after the first one went very quickly.I filled the bath tub with water and ran it through there it looked very good.I am on vacation next week and will try it out.I will post how it works.

Fisherman_Wantabe
12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
O man I'm really biting my tounge. I guess I just don't see the whole picture or I'm just different than most people.

I know don't seem right!

Slabs Inc
12-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I know don't seem right!

Not so much that, but the lengths some people will go to catch fish. Plus the fact that this "rig" has been around forever and now its jump on the band wagon time since the FLW win. Crappie fishing headed in the same direction as bass fishing and deer hunting. $20 for a crappie bait lol

Blackhawk19
12-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Word is that Mann's Bait Co is coming out with one for Crappie.

Uncle BS
12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
I know don't seem right!

I thought the same thing the 1st time i saw ppl trolling (pulling, longlining, etc.). After i tried it & got the hang of it, I realized why they were doing it. This was about 1990. I have blew more $ on other fishing equip that were fads I just had to have,( Banjo Minners, Helicopter Lures )! LOL

NIMROD
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Word is that Mann's Bait Co is coming out with one for Crappie.

There have been ones for Crappie out for awhile. Issen some Green Carp fishermen chunking that pile of hardware on Dardanelle this week. Looks like alot of work.

zrdc28
12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/main-crappie-fishing-forum/75747-alabama-rig-dsc00018.jpg

I just hook all my wires together onto one wire with a loop on it for the line to tie too. Drill a hole in each end of the crank bait, insert it into the crankbait and use 5 minute epoxy to fill it up. The wire used is from a galvanized wire cable that has enough temper to stay shaped.and does not rust. I found from experience that you need a ring up close to the back end of the crankbait to keep it from splitting out. The one shown weights 1/2 ounce the other one I build is with a rattle trap, it works OK also. Not as pretty as the bought ones but it works and it was fun to build on a rainy day.

crappyman
12-15-2011, 01:08 PM
This is what I make. the trick is keepin the weight down 75748

crappyman
12-15-2011, 01:17 PM

TommyBass
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
It's not "like" an umbrella rig... it IS an umbrella rig. They just call it something different for marketing. Theres a new band wagon bait every year in bass fishing... most people wont know the time or place to use such a rig and its use will diminish within a year. Only decent fisherman will remember when and how to throw it. Just like chatterbaits etc.

I find it funny that crappie fisherman would even think to make fun of it. Spider rigging 10 poles with 5 + baits is alot worse for the sport than a single cast umbrella rig. Sure you could troll a few of them, but it'd be hard to beat number of lines out you get spider rigging. Its amazing to me what some states allow... all of that is illegal in many states. Here in IN, no more than two hooked lures period / pole and no more than 3 poles. So at most I could fish 6 jigs / minnows / whatchamacallits.

Speaking of band wagon... spider rigging was the same way. The commercializing of crappie fishing and its tournaments are what made that popular. I never used to see one boat with that setup and now alot of guys think its the only way.

To each his own... but remember, unless you invented the bait, everything you are using was bandwagon material not long ago. Look how many people use jigs and curl tails! I doubt the umbrella rig will reach that status. Crappie fishing wasnt much more than 1 bobber and 1 minnow in the not so distant past.

crappyman
12-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Hate it or love it. If it catches fish I will use it. Here in VA we have no restrictions on the number of hooks. I enjoy making and catching fish on the baits I make. I really don't care what other people are doing. In Virginia umbrella rigs have caught and will keep catching stripers in because stripers are mainly a schooling fish, the same with Crappie. Bass fisherman may stop using it because bass will only school at certain times depending on the body of water, different people have different skill levels, etc. I think you will naturally have people fall off the umbrella/ Alabama/crappie rig/crappy rig/Virginia rig/ crappie killer or whatever you want to call it. This is just one more option for people who are allowed by their state to catch fish. I've seen a lot of one bobber one fish also have multiple bobbers. Bottom line fish how you want to if your state allows it.

thumpbaits
12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Any one using the Crappie Umbrella Rig ?- did a search and come up with a few hits on Google. Would love to see some pic if you catch some Crappie using a Crappie Umbrella Rig. Thanks

Sinconee
12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Will be on Sinclair trolling the umbrella rig tomorrow. My plan is warm water cove trolling with corks to keep the rig from hitting bottom. It's an awsome site with 5 jigs on each rig. My neighbor caught 23 on oconee last week trolling the crappie umbrella with 32oz heads.

olduckhunter
12-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Not so much that, but the lengths some people will go to catch fish. Plus the fact that this "rig" has been around forever and now its jump on the band wagon time since the FLW win. Crappie fishing headed in the same direction as bass fishing and deer hunting. $20 for a crappie bait lol

it's like going back to the old fight between hunters about the crossbow and compound bow. if you were/are a compound bow hunter and your state decided to allow crossbows in "your" season you got mad. but look at your compound bow. you have a bow sight, wheels and pulleys and cables, and some even have reddot scopes that long bows and recurves don't and you are mad because someone made it easier yet legal. do you use a "fish finder" on your boat? do you use a gps on your boat? or are you still a "back to the basics" jon boat, no trolling motor, no outboard bare pole fisherman? to me the umbrella rig is just another tool that whoever wants to use it can and those that don't want to don't have to use them. if they are legal so be it. don't knock it. fish your way and let the others fish their way and stay friends.

crappyman
12-16-2011, 08:36 PM
it's like going back to the old fight between hunters about the crossbow and compound bow. if you were/are a compound bow hunter and your state decided to allow crossbows in "your" season you got mad. but look at your compound bow. you have a bow sight, wheels and pulleys and cables, and some even have reddot scopes that long bows and recurves don't and you are mad because someone made it easier yet legal. do you use a "fish finder" on your boat? do you use a gps on your boat? or are you still a "back to the basics" jon boat, no trolling motor, no outboard bare pole fisherman? to me the umbrella rig is just another tool that whoever wants to use it can and those that don't want to don't have to use them. if they are legal so be it. don't knock it. fish your way and let the others fish their way and stay friends. Well said!!!

Slabs Inc
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Like I said, "I guess I just don't see the whole picture or I'm just different than most people." To each his own. Fish on.

Kentucky Lake
01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I live 15 miles from Kentucky Lake.

I also make my own Alabama Rigs.

I can't wait to catch Crappie and Bass this Spring on Kentucky Lake.

The Alabama Rig on Kentucky Lake.

The Alabama Rig Supernova - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWWB3pFYCQg)

Blackdog40
01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Same in Kansas. Keeps down the meat hunters IMHO

crappyman
01-03-2012, 11:49 PM

$8.99 at annapoint.com no weight in the head. In fact it has an air pocket to make it fall slower. Chris Craft at Anna Point can get small jigs made with larger hooks It looks good coming through the water. Check it out

bugman
01-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Hate it or love it. If it catches fish I will use it. Here in VA we have no restrictions on the number of hooks. I enjoy making and catching fish on the baits I make. I really don't care what other people are doing. In Virginia umbrella rigs have caught and will keep catching stripers in because stripers are mainly a schooling fish, the same with Crappie. Bass fisherman may stop using it because bass will only school at certain times depending on the body of water, different people have different skill levels, etc. I think you will naturally have people fall off the umbrella/ Alabama/crappie rig/crappy rig/Virginia rig/ crappie killer or whatever you want to call it. This is just one more option for people who are allowed by their state to catch fish. I've seen a lot of one bobber one fish also have multiple bobbers. Bottom line fish how you want to if your state allows it.

Well said!!!fine lookin rigs you're makin.

Countryboy N.C.
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Them poor little crappie ant got a chance now!

chaunc
01-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Would you use one of these during the crappie spawn?

Kentucky Lake
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I can't wait to use it this Spring on the 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake.

crappyman
01-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I make this one very light weight but versital