Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 12/10

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 12/10

Well I pussed out being on the lake at daylight. 18 degrees, felt like I was back in Wisconsin minus the auger & shanty. Got out about 10ish and fished the normal haunts. The bite was super slow until about 2 then picked up & really turned on about 3. Early we caught a bunch of puppies with an occasional white thrown in. Then started to pick up the bigger ones. The fish were deeper than they have been, I let the jigs sink to the bottom then started the super slow retrieve. After realizing they were only a foot or two off bottom I switched rods with a slip bobber and tipped it with a minner. That was the ticket for me. Everything under 11" was released except one 9-3/4" to finish off the limit & kept one white to have a mixed bag. Color didn't matter, size was on a 1/16 head. i was up at 2:30a.m. tying until 9:30a.m. so by 4p.m. I had enough when it really started to get hot & heavy. That's a good time to leave, keeps me pumped for the next trip!!!! Gonna be nice next week, Gary you'll have to head this way so we can "Get Er Done"!!!!!!!

Name:  Jigs 008.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  52.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Monday for sure, and maybe Tuesday also. From this report I don't see the need for early fishin, but I'll be ready when you are.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, message me your number!!!!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great mess skeeterxs170!!!!! No better way to spend a winter day!!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Trevor. I made it out about noon-ish...caught all my fish on jigs. Biggest was 13", but most were in the 11" range. Color didn't matter. The only thing that did matter was getting it down deep enough and retrieving it slow enough.

Post Thanks / Like

That's no S**t Speck, I'm not use to being able to not walk on water (hard water) this time of year. The just being in the boat this time of year is a super bonus. People look at me funny for just being in a sweat shirt...

Post Thanks / Like

Trevor & Vic,
    Sounds like a great day. I'm going to try from the bank tomorrow and see what happens .. sounds like I might try just off the bottom & a very slow retrieve.
    Thanks for the reports guys!

Post Thanks / Like

vic n I've really got to learn patience. Slow is not beginning to describe it. There were times that I felt like I was catfishing with a jig!!!!! The slip bobber technique really helps me out alot with that!!!!!! This time of year especially. It still takes patience for 18'-20' of line to drop through a stupid slip bobber............................................ ...... When I fish, I'm balls to the wall. Don't get me wrong I love to fish, (big however comma) I like catching much better. Just like all Y'all!!!! The only difference is this resevoir stuff you southern boys have going. In Wisconsin the closest thing we have are called RIVERS. Totally different than our lakes, which are pretty much bowls. The first time I saw Smithville was from a plane landing at KCI. The trees blew me right away. We never see cover like this up there. Seems like almost to much cover. The other big difference is the weeds. There we fish weed lines and submerged vegetation. Here, good luck finding it. I spotted a lily pad bed here and almost creamed the jeans to find at least healthy vegetation. Not this wilted brown mass of slime S-ville has to offer in general. Not saying it a bad lake, just different than I'm use to. I'm not to ashamed to pick brains, ask questions, & share what little bit about the sport we all have grown to know & love. I have learned though, to keep some secrets just that!!! I'm still waiting for the right light breeze to slow drift the main lake for the "Eyes". There are a few tricks up my sleeve on the right given day!!!!! There are certain things slow trolling just won't do.

I did see the guy that tied to the tree I was fishing a while back... I'm not going to apologize for getting a lil close to where he was fishin!!! Opps my bad, did I cross your monofiliment with the one and only rod I have braid on. I was unaware that braid cuts monocheers!!!!!!! That damn Karma. To bad you were using a jig instead of a $15 crank!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterxs170 View Post
    vic n I've really got to learn patience. Slow is not beginning to describe it. There were times that I felt like I was catfishing with a jig!!!!! The slip bobber technique really helps me out alot with that!!!!!! This time of year especially. It still takes patience for 18'-20' of line to drop through a stupid slip bobber.....

I'm not to ashamed to pick brains, ask questions, & share what little bit about the sport we all have grown to know & love.

I'm still waiting for the right light breeze to slow drift the main lake for the "Eyes". There are a few tricks up my sleeve on the right given day!!!!! There are certain things slow trolling just won't do.

I did see the guy that tied to the tree I was fishing a while back... I'm not going to apologize for getting a lil close to where he was fishin!!! Opps my bad, did I cross your monofiliment with the one and only rod I have braid on. I was unaware that braid cuts monocheers!!!!!!! That damn Karma. To bad you were using a jig instead of a $15 crank!!!!
    I'm the same as you with patience....hard to come by sometimes!! And I never got good at the slip bobbers....never could get the line to feed through...there's that patience thing!

Been wanting to learn how to fish for the 'eyes....met a guy on the ramp one day from the great white North. His technique was to fish right in the timber...

Maybe that guy will see you next time and keep his distance?? lol Karma can be a real biotch!

Post Thanks / Like

great report! congrat's on a fine day!
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast