Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/14 & 11/17 catch

Post Thanks / Like

Default 11/14 & 11/17 catch

Fished until about 1 PM on the 14th when boat traffic and wind action run us off, caught 42. Went back this morn and fished until 11:15 and had our limit. Pix of Wayne with 22 of our 60 fish.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats the largest stringer I have ever seen on this site in over a year. Nice catch fellas.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch guys. From the looks of the fishes bellies they shoulda been right on the bank!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Nice catch guys. From the looks of the fishes bellies they shoulda been right on the bank!
    Nope, They were in 5 to 10 feet of water along drop-offs. Some from Friday seems to have already done some spawning. Some of the males today had their courting colors on as you can see in the photo. The water is a lot lower than it normally is for this time of year, they may be spawning out in deeper water.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for showing me what,,, some day I may be able to catch.
    I'm headed out tomorrow for the first time this year in my boat. The water is only about 48 but I can't stand it any longer.
    I sure do envy you all from the south.
    If anyone has any Ideas about fishing them in this temp, I sure would be happy to listen to ya.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome catch, I never knew that males take on a color change during the spawn. Pictures never do fish justice. Do they? You look at some of them and they look small untill you look at the size of the mouth which say's otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike:
    If your water temps are closing in on the magical 50 deg F mark then the fish may be staging and in pre spawn now or in a few more days if you get more warm weather. If it gets cold again they may stay in pre spawn area until the sun warms the waters up some more. They should start moving to the banks or spawning beds when the water warms up to 60 deg and closes in on 65 deg F. Remember that not all the crappie in the lake will all spawn at the same time.

If you can find the spawning areas the crappie may be staging nearby soon. Look for deeper water staging areas close by the spawning beds at this time of the year. You may have to search for them. Look at the mouths of creek or bays that come off the main lake and head back into the back of shallow bays

Good luck.

Search for the warmer water. Remember that the shallow waters with protection from the harsh NW and NE winter winds and with darker bottoms may warm up faster than the main lake deeper areas. Look for this type of area with cover in the form of wood or reeds near drop offs.

Areas of shallow water with quick access to deeper water may be a good area to check out. As Per Buck Perry's general guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    Thanks for showing me what,,, some day I may be able to catch.
    I'm headed out tomorrow for the first time this year in my boat. The water is only about 48 but I can't stand it any longer.
    I sure do envy you all from the south.
    If anyone has any Ideas about fishing them in this temp, I sure would be happy to listen to ya.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Guys, That is some of the best slabs I have seen. Good Going, The water temp is till cool out here in Cali where I fish. Pics like these keep me motivated. Thanks Keep it up....

Gonefission
    Bill

HunterRed Guest

Nice catch. Those are some nice sized crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to build me one of those "Brag Boards". My last trip out produced a 5 gallon bucket full of crappie. Most were around 12" long and I threw back several 10/11" fish. I kept 34 while the limit in Oklahoma is 37. The biggest was only around 2lbs. I am still having trouble locating the Hawgs like I caught last year. Great job Steve! You gonna burn that electric knife up if you keep catching them like that.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast