Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green 4.15.06

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green 4.15.06

I fished Green again late Sat. afternoon/evening. I have not started my motor the last 2 trips. I just use my trolling motor and cast into the underwater cover I find shallow. I want to go back this weekend but I already have a trip planned to Barkley. Get out there and get you some! The females are starting to come up shallow also...I had 4 or 5 Sat. that I got in 2' or less of water. The eggs were not very full yet but they are gettin' close. Good Luck
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'll be after them again tomorrow Fred! Boy retirement is great!

GRLKY Guest

I'm new here and also wanted to post my results for Green River. Fished Sun. 4/16 and caught 13 crappie from one downed tree in about 30 to 45 minutes. Sizes ranged from 7 to 10, maybe 11 inches. Picked up a couple more in other areas.

I haven't fished for, or caught any crappie for years, but that was fun! I'm definatly "hooked"! Not sure from memory how crappie strike, but on this day all you could feel was just a small hit, similiar to bumping a bait into a tree limb. I missed the first 2 to 4 strikes thinking I was bumping a limb.

All fish were caught on a white jig, with slow retrieve, in appriximatly 4 to 6 feet of water. (Not sure, was in the runabout since we had the kids with us....no fish finder) All fish were realeased, as I didn't even know the size limit for crappie on Green, and didn't have the Ky Boating Guide with me. I plan to head out in the bass boat sometime this week and try again. With some luck, I might be checking out the "Cooking Crappie" forum here!
    Last edited by GRLKY; 04-17-2006 at 07:06 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Welcome GRLKY ...

Quote Originally Posted by GRLKY
    I'm new here and also wanted to post my results for Green River. Fished Sun. 4/16 and caught 13 crappie from one downed tree in about 30 to 45 minutes. Sizes ranged from 7 to 10, maybe 11 inches. Picked up a couple more in other areas.

I haven't fished for, or caught any crappie for years, but that was fun! I'm definatly "hooked"! Not sure from memory how crappie strike, but on this day all you could feel was just a small hit, similiar to bumping a bait into a tree limb. I missed the first 2 to 4 strikes thinking I was bumping a limb.

All fish were caught on a white jig, with slow retrieve, in appriximatly 4 to 6 feet of water. (Not sure, was in the runabout since we had the kids with us....no fish finder) All fish were realeased, as I didn't even know the size limit for crappie on Green, and didn't have the Ky Boating Guide with me. I plan to head out in the bass boat sometime this week and try again. With some luck, I might be checking out the "Cooking Crappie" forum here!
    Sounds like it won't take you long to get back into the game !!
    Casting jigs, Vertical Casting jigs, shooting docks with jigs, and even the occasional trolling pass ... are my favorite methods for catching Crappie. Detecting the strike can be "iffy" at times ... but, a "tic"/"tap"/"thump" felt thru the rod (or "seen" in the line) - line moving sideways - or sudden slack line, when you know you're not on the bottom, are all indications of a Crappie strike. Sometimes there just seems to be something "abnormal", about the way the jig is coming in ... or it seems to have "gained some weight". Those are possible strikes, too. Best bet .... if in doubt, set the hook :D

Thanks for the report ... and do report back on any subsequent trips. One thing I can tell you about GRL ... Chartreuse Roadrunners are "KILLER", when the Crappie are on shallow banks with sparse wood cover. And, for those situations where you find them in a little more dense wood cover ... try a weedless jighead and a tube body (most any color with chartreuse tails). 1/32 & 1/16oz jigs or Roadrunners have been my most productive lures there ........ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just got through putting the boat to bed. My former next door neighbor and I had 45 really good Crappie today at Green( Tues ). Most were caught on charteuse twister tails as minnows did not produce many bites past late morning. We threw back about 25- 30 dinks. Late afternoon the fish began to bite on minnows again and we reluctantly left around 5:30 after running out of minnows and the bites slowing down somewhat. I had three fish in the 13-14 inch range with most of the keepers being around 10 inches today.

Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot to say we were casting into shallow areas and retreiving very slowly using 1/16 oz. lead heads. Heard two or three different boats say that the fish were not biting today, but I didn't notice them casting or drifting, just using minnows and bobbers and sitting. The movement was key to catching fish today.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fred! Went yesterday, I fished from snake up to little cake. There was only two other boats up the river with me. If I could have got two more I would have had a limit. Couldn't buy two more or one more for that matter. Had minnows but caught most on a lemon mar. 1/32 jig shooting under trees. late afternoon started using 1/16 char. with a minnow on them. They had started short biting the tail. Caught a few whites. but got most of my crappie 0n 5-6 feet banks with stumps or down trees on them. most was 10 -11 in. about half had yellow eggs. Water temp. was in mid 60's up there. The bite was best from 9-12.