Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How should I fish Monroe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How should I fish Monroe?

Let me know what I should change about my strategy for fishing Monroe...

Last year I tried a few times and struck out. I usually get specks in the river, but the technique is very different, I think. I want to learn Monroe and I finally have a running boat.

I fish from a bowrider with a trolling motor and I don't have any rod holders. It seems like most of you use rod holders to fish. I'm thinking about leaving 4-5 lines out (poles just leaning wherever I can get them) and drifting with minnows on bobbers. I will use my trolling motor here and there to give me a 100 or so yard push to a new spot if I don't have luck where I am. I'll start at the power plant and work my way a few hundred yards out from the shore around to Stone Island. If I get hits at a spot, I'll probably drop anchor and fish with jigs too. Not sure what colors, I'll just try them all until I find what works.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound like you need advice at all. I think you'll do good and the areas aound good also.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know...I mined it all from around here. Just wanted to confirm it should work before going out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Take that anchor out of your boat!!! Do not let it tempt ya. I will get ya a pm shortly, give me a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

pm sent

Post Thanks / Like

Got it, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

ive saw both pushers (spider riggers) and pullers (longliners). I can tell you pushing works.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex,
    If ya like skiing, I guess that boat is OK.
    If ya like fishin, I'd suggest gettin a lower profile boat, where ya can add accesories like rod holders, etc....
    But, then again, I only fish specs from first cold front till Easter, after that I go salt water.
    And, I drive a flats boat, so I can go anywhere I want, fresh or salt, etc........
    Consider exactly what your true passion is, fshin, or watchin pretty girls in bikinies skiing behind your boat ......
    I think you'll find, fishin is the better choice (how old are you) ??????
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 29 so....both!

I knew it wouldn't be the best for fishing, but I (and my wife) like boating a lot. I thought of that when I got it. It's worked out for bass fishing and speck fishing in the river well enough...just want to be able to catch a few fish from it. If the amount of pleasure boating we do ever slows down, I'll trade it for a fishing boat. I've also got a small jon boat for fishing in smaller lakes around me. Probably not the safest for Monroe, but I've seen people out with boats about that size out there... As long as I can take the boat out to Monroe and catch a few specks, I'll be alright. I had a heck of a time finding a place that would mount a trolling motor on it, but eventually got someone who did a good job with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xelaw View Post
    I'm 29 so....both!

I knew it wouldn't be the best for fishing, but I (and my wife) like boating a lot. I thought of that when I got it. It's worked out for bass fishing and speck fishing in the river well enough...just want to be able to catch a few fish from it. If the amount of pleasure boating we do ever slows down, I'll trade it for a fishing boat. I've also got a small jon boat for fishing in smaller lakes around me. Probably not the safest for Monroe, but I've seen people out with boats about that size out there... As long as I can take the boat out to Monroe and catch a few specks, I'll be alright. I had a heck of a time finding a place that would mount a trolling motor on it, but eventually got someone who did a good job with it.
    I'm just messin with ya Alex,
    Boat is OK,
    I seen this fellow on lake Harney in a boat like that slow trolling (big motor running), got his limit (so he said), I think I got 12...........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast