Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Tipping jigs while spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Tipping jigs while spider rigging

Have a question for those of you who tip jigs with minnows while spider rigging. I tip plain jigheads and roadrunner heads, but have never tipped plastic or tied jigs. Do you tip all types of jigs, (plastic marabou, chenille & hackle tied jigs, etc) or mostly plain ones? Doesn't the minnow get somewhat lost in the marabou tails or what? What about tube jigs that you inject with crappie nibbles? Also do you use jigheads with longer hooks or any jighead?
    Thanks dad for teaching me to love crappie fishing!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont spider rig often at all but when I do I have some poles with jigs and some with bare hooks. I bait the bare hooks with minnows and if the fish aint biting the jigs I'll tip 'em. With the tails of the tubes (or marabou) the minnows are somewhat restricted but I dont think the fish mind as long as they can see the minnow. I have shortened the tubes with scissors so more minnow is exposed but I havent see any real differences as to the bite. I sit more than I troll when spider rigging and have my best luck off bare hooks with minnows or a painted bare jighead with a minnow though.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Tip half your rods, then let the fish tell you. DONE DEAL
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabs Inc View Post
    Tip half your rods, then let the fish tell you. DONE DEAL
    I agree try an arrangement of colors and minnow combinations and feed the fish what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where the Sickle hook comes into play. I often tip my jigs ( Plastic.) with a minnow or even a shiner. I use a 2 1/4" plastic Live Baby Shad and then add a Big bass minnow or a medium shiner. I know this seems big for a crappie but trust me when I say even the dinks will inhale big baits.
    My jig heads have a #2 sickle hook on them or I use the 1/8th ounce Road Runner because of the hook size.
    More often then not I use Jucied up baits crappie formula with a plain jig or even on a minnow tipped jig.

You asked if the minnow gets lost in the Maribu jig. I would say no they don't because the minnow is still kicking and putting out all kinds of scent.
    Good luck and I would experiment with this everytime you go out until you figure out what the fish want.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TDHcrappiemaster View Post
    This is where the Sickle hook comes into play. I often tip my jigs ( Plastic.) with a minnow or even a shiner. I use a 2 1/4" plastic Live Baby Shad and then add a Big bass minnow or a medium shiner. I know this seems big for a crappie but trust me when I say even the dinks will inhale big baits.
    My jig heads have a #2 sickle hook on them or I use the 1/8th ounce Road Runner because of the hook size.
    More often then not I use Jucied up baits crappie formula with a plain jig or even on a minnow tipped jig.

You asked if the minnow gets lost in the Maribu jig. I would say no they don't because the minnow is still kicking and putting out all kinds of scent.
    Good luck and I would experiment with this everytime you go out until you figure out what the fish want.

I agree. A minnow goes on every hook while spider rigging. They add movement and smell even if not completely visible. Some jig types aggravate the minnow more & cause more movement. Predators love a stressed bait. Just my thoughts. Oh and I have been really liking the LF baby shad in the red/green color.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Try something like this. A little flash, a little rubber, and a #1 Sickle.
    Name:  DSCN1711.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  33.1 KB
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes we end up with the ugliest "wad" of stuff on the hook and catch them. I have used plain hook-minnow, plain hook-2 minnows, jighead-minnow, hook-tube-minnow, jighead-tube-minnow, jighead-curlytail-minnow, jighead-maribou-minnow, just about any combination you could think. Crappie are CRAZY!
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy View Post
    Sometimes we end up with the ugliest "wad" of stuff on the hook and catch them. I have used plain hook-minnow, plain hook-2 minnows, jighead-minnow, hook-tube-minnow, jighead-tube-minnow, jighead-curlytail-minnow, jighead-maribou-minnow, just about any combination you could think. Crappie are CRAZY!

And so are we that fish for them.lol.................................

Post Thanks / Like

I use several different jig colors and tip some with a minnow. Keep chnaging until I find a pattern that works. Once I find it, it seems to continue to work for several trips, so keep in mind what you did your previous trip and start there.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast