PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tipping jigs while spider rigging

mitrisin
12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Have a question for those of you who tip jigs with minnows while spider rigging. I tip plain jigheads and roadrunner heads, but have never tipped plastic or tied jigs. Do you tip all types of jigs, (plastic marabou, chenille & hackle tied jigs, etc) or mostly plain ones? Doesn't the minnow get somewhat lost in the marabou tails or what? What about tube jigs that you inject with crappie nibbles? Also do you use jigheads with longer hooks or any jighead?

gabowman
12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
I dont spider rig often at all but when I do I have some poles with jigs and some with bare hooks. I bait the bare hooks with minnows and if the fish aint biting the jigs I'll tip 'em. With the tails of the tubes (or marabou) the minnows are somewhat restricted but I dont think the fish mind as long as they can see the minnow. I have shortened the tubes with scissors so more minnow is exposed but I havent see any real differences as to the bite. I sit more than I troll when spider rigging and have my best luck off bare hooks with minnows or a painted bare jighead with a minnow though.

Slabs Inc
12-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Tip half your rods, then let the fish tell you. DONE DEAL

crappielimits
12-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Tip half your rods, then let the fish tell you. DONE DEAL
I agree try an arrangement of colors and minnow combinations and feed the fish what they want.

TDHcrappiemaster
12-09-2011, 07:14 AM
This is where the Sickle hook comes into play. I often tip my jigs ( Plastic.) with a minnow or even a shiner. I use a 2 1/4" plastic Live Baby Shad and then add a Big bass minnow or a medium shiner. I know this seems big for a crappie but trust me when I say even the dinks will inhale big baits.
My jig heads have a #2 sickle hook on them or I use the 1/8th ounce Road Runner because of the hook size.
More often then not I use Jucied up baits crappie formula with a plain jig or even on a minnow tipped jig.

You asked if the minnow gets lost in the Maribu jig. I would say no they don't because the minnow is still kicking and putting out all kinds of scent.
Good luck and I would experiment with this everytime you go out until you figure out what the fish want.

Shine Runner
12-09-2011, 07:26 AM
This is where the Sickle hook comes into play. I often tip my jigs ( Plastic.) with a minnow or even a shiner. I use a 2 1/4" plastic Live Baby Shad and then add a Big bass minnow or a medium shiner. I know this seems big for a crappie but trust me when I say even the dinks will inhale big baits.
My jig heads have a #2 sickle hook on them or I use the 1/8th ounce Road Runner because of the hook size.
More often then not I use Jucied up baits crappie formula with a plain jig or even on a minnow tipped jig.

You asked if the minnow gets lost in the Maribu jig. I would say no they don't because the minnow is still kicking and putting out all kinds of scent.
Good luck and I would experiment with this everytime you go out until you figure out what the fish want.

I agree. A minnow goes on every hook while spider rigging. They add movement and smell even if not completely visible. Some jig types aggravate the minnow more & cause more movement. Predators love a stressed bait. Just my thoughts. Oh and I have been really liking the LF baby shad in the red/green color.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

hunter7711
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Try something like this. A little flash, a little rubber, and a #1 Sickle.

callshy
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Sometimes we end up with the ugliest "wad" of stuff on the hook and catch them. I have used plain hook-minnow, plain hook-2 minnows, jighead-minnow, hook-tube-minnow, jighead-tube-minnow, jighead-curlytail-minnow, jighead-maribou-minnow, just about any combination you could think. Crappie are CRAZY!

Crappieday
12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Sometimes we end up with the ugliest "wad" of stuff on the hook and catch them. I have used plain hook-minnow, plain hook-2 minnows, jighead-minnow, hook-tube-minnow, jighead-tube-minnow, jighead-curlytail-minnow, jighead-maribou-minnow, just about any combination you could think. Crappie are CRAZY!

And so are we that fish for them.lol.................................

Gamblinman
12-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I use several different jig colors and tip some with a minnow. Keep chnaging until I find a pattern that works. Once I find it, it seems to continue to work for several trips, so keep in mind what you did your previous trip and start there.

Gman

STUMP HUNTER
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I tip marabou jigs along with any other jig in cool weather. A marabou jig when wet will not be big as it is while dry. It will turn into a small shape looking more like a shad as will hackle and hair jigs too. Sometimes the added movement of the minnow and the scent of the minnow will make a difference.

keith dodd
12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
scott I was wondering why you buy so many minnows:) In other words build it and the crappie wil come...

thankfull
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
I seldom use minnows have learned over the years to switch my jigs untill i find the ones they like, presentation seems more important to me and besides I hate to get my hands wet in the cold weather.

skeetbum
12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
All I've read so far has merit. If you look at a live bait jighead for walleye the hook is a short shank aberdeen looking hook. No reason a regular jighead like we use wouldn't work. Been out and found em picky and kept switching colors til the got happy and then it was on. That said, I can't say that if I had put a minnow on a jig that wasn't working that it would have made a difference. Like many, I don't buy minnows that much, especially when it's cold. Frozen hands recover slow, maybe I'm just a wimp.
Hunter, looks good. Never tried the rubber on one of those but the 'bou works great.

hunter7711
12-10-2011, 04:13 PM
The key to it is no weight. A moinnow don't have that gob of lead to drag around. A lot more action.

Roper Outdoors
12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Have a question for those of you who tip jigs with minnows while spider rigging. I tip plain jigheads and roadrunner heads, but have never tipped plastic or tied jigs. Do you tip all types of jigs, (plastic marabou, chenille & hackle tied jigs, etc) or mostly plain ones? Doesn't the minnow get somewhat lost in the marabou tails or what? What about tube jigs that you inject with crappie nibbles? Also do you use jigheads with longer hooks or any jighead?

Okay mitrisin let’s break this down.

Do you tip all types of jigs, (plastic marabou, chenille & hackle tied jigs, etc)?
YES, if your using something like a hair jig and the hair covers your whole minnow then you need to trim it back some.

What about tube jigs that you inject with crappie nibbles?
You can still inject your tubes and tip them with minnows. Think about it, the jig gets the crappie attention, the scent keeps the crappie engaged and the natural bait causes them to say ooh la la. What a beautiful combination.

Also do you use jigheads with longer hooks or any jighead?
My company makes hooks that are a little bit bigger than your standard jigs. The reason behind doing that is because we tip our jigs a lot and I want as much of the hook exposed for a great hook set. I want to say this is my way of fishing. Some guys like the smaller hooks but I don’t want to miss any fish because of it. There are a lot of guys that make their own jigs because most jigs have small hooks or short shanks.

CrappiePappy
12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Roper's got a point, about the tube/nibbles/minner combo. I think it was 1Weezer that posted awhile back, that he uses a jighead w/tube ... minner on the jighook ... then topped off with a Crappie Nibble !! If that works for him, then I don't see why it won't work just as well with the tube filled with Nibble :D

Grousefly custom makes some shortshank/widegap jigheads, that I've purchased for use with minners ... primarily for deep jigging, but I'm sure they'd work good for trolling methods, too.

... cp

for the loveofcrappie
12-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I use crappie niblets with success! Try them you may be suprised!