Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod & Reel Maintanence

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod & Reel Maintanence

I dont know if there is a section for this but if not how about a reel maintanence and rod repair section>

I oiled my reels but some are still loud and catching, and also I snapped a rod in two and was wondering if I could or should get it back together.

Any suggestions

Thanx and be blessed
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the reels but I don't know any way you would put a rod back together.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I have repaired several broken rods in the past and they have held up just fine. Most people have broken a rod or two in the past like I have, only I saved the rod material to use to make splices out of for when a better rod breaks. What I will do is find the section of a broken rod that will slide inside the broken area and become snug, mark it with a marker and cut it so it will fill both sides of the broken rod across the break with about three inches inside each half. Once I have cut my splice I epoxy it inside the broken rod and let it cure. After the epoxy has hardened i wrap the broken area with sowing thread as tightly as possible along the length of the shaft so the entire area of the splice has been wrapped. I secure the sowing thread with super glue, and let it harden. I have repaired several 12 ft crappie rods this way, and they have held up under pressure from some pretty good sized striper.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Did you take your rotors off of your spinning reels? Thats were the main bearings are. I use brake parts cleaner and blast them clean, then I re-lube with Hot Sauce products. I've doubled and even tripled my reels life doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

My trade is reel repair Hot Sauce is good stuff but be careful with break cleaner don't get it on anything other than the bearings. Crappiedoc is right on keeping things clean and lubed is the life of a reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as waterboy,works great
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

Pull the cap off of the back end of the rod or drill hole if you can not get cap off, if it is a one piece rod. Take an old rod with guides removed, slide it down into the broken rod, cut off old rod to about 3 inches sticking out.
    Remove the old rod and make the total length of the old rod about 6 inches long. You will need to file the broken rod square on both ends of the break. Use 5 minute epoxy to coat the inside of the broken rod, push the 6 inches of old rod back back down into the blank until tight. The next thing is to slide the broken end back upon the old rod, be sure to align the guides. Use the color thread used on the rod and wrap about 1/2 inch together on each side of the break and then epoxy, over lapping the end of the thread about 1/8 inch. On a black or white rod you can repair them with the same color thread and you will never notice it. When you put the epoxy on the thread just continue to turn the rod for a few minutes and it will lie flat, another thing you can do to make the epoxy lay flat is use a little heat to thin it.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have cheap Shimano reels that have been in service for 10 yrs and I see no end in sight. The first thing in maintenance requires no tools. After use, take most of the tension off the drag and store them loose. Not dead loose, but not too snug either. This keeps the drag washers from compressing and the drag maintains a smooth release when in use. Get in the habit of checking the drag when you pick up a rod to use. Occasional oiling and cleaning makes a big difference also. More isn't always better when it comes to oil as the excess gathers dirt and other funk, then a tear down cleaning becomes needed. Remember that grease thickens in cold weather and don't load the inside of the reel case with it. Also, save the reels that you retire for parts. Bail springs and handles and handle screws have sidelined a lot of good reels.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around