Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roadrunners to plain jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Roadrunners to plain jigs?

What do you guys/gals think.....Roadrunners or plain jigs for crappie? (which and why)

I really like the roadrunners, but im not sure if they really do much. Havent seen much of a increase in catch...maybe even a little less.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both myself and have great success on each giving the right presentation. If I'm barely moving I use the plain head but if I'm moving around covering alot of water I use roadrunners. I feel that the extra flash and vibration that is giving off by the roadrunner increases the bite simply by making it more visible to the fish.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

I like both as well. On my pretied spider rigs, you'll find both naked jigs and naked road runners. When I attach them to my line, I will decide then what to tip them with. In my case it is usually a curly tail grub of some type. I also tie my own pony jigs, and use marabou and chenille bodies, however I seem to still prefer the plastics. I also like to swim the road runners if I am using one pole...and try to retrieve at the slowest possible speed in which the blade will still turn. That seems to drive the lazy crappie crazy.

I've sometimes vertically jigged the road runner with some success also. Again, as Tom mentioned.. I think the vibration and flash of the blade are important. You can also buy yourself some small blades (like what is used on the road runner) and simply thread one or 2 on your line prior to tying on a plain jig. The clacking and flash of the blade hitting on your jig head sometimes is an aid to attracting the crappie .

HHD

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer jigs when longlining. During the spring I'll pull a couple RR's but that's about it.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    I prefer jigs when longlining. During the spring I'll pull a couple RR's but that's about it.
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie are fickle!! Sometimes they seem to prefer a roadrunner over a plain jighead, and other times its the other way around. I generally start our long-lining one each way and soon get the idea of what works better. Green carp always prefer a RR if given a choice.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

RR's definitely appeal to a wider variety of panfish, not just crappie. Perch (both species) and bluegill will take them readily. I find I catch more crappie with plain jigs with some sort of plastic attached.

edit: Bass, trout and even carp love RR's too!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

RR are probably great but only use plain jig with grub.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

So, I guess people like to use both...LOL. Like I said, I have been using both and just wondered what people thought. I think, overall, I do better with a plain jig...but, I dont fish from a boat often right now..and I have NEVER trolled before.

Post Thanks / Like

i use both with decent results. i spider rig exclusively. my last time out, in nov, i was headed back to the put-in area and thought i'd just leave my lines in the water and crank up the speed. i was doing 1.4 mph and bam! bam! bam! 3 crappie smacked my 3 road runners. none hit my jigs. kinda went counter to my understanding about fishing them slow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast