PDA

View Full Version : bought nano line 4 pound

goofy1
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
I bought 150 yards of nano line today to try. Is it any good or did I waste my money on high dollar line?

skiptomylu
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Someone bought some of that a couple month back and later came back to report on it and if my memory serves me right he was not liking it as much after a little time with it. Do a search on this board for it and you can probably find what he said. I am pretty sure that is why I didn't get any.

Skip

Blackhawk19
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Same here Skip. I think this is the thread.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/187782-2-test-nanofil.html

Slabs Inc
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
A buddy of mine tried it too, he broke off three in a row. He was not happy. I wish Trilene XL came in high Vis yellow. I'm waiting on my Vicious Panfish to come in the mail, I've heard good things about it.

jaxsprat
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
A buddy of mine tried it too, he broke off three in a row. He was not happy. I wish Trilene XL came in high Vis yellow. I'm waiting on my Vicious Panfish to come in the mail, I've heard good things about it.
Vicious works great for me no problems and strong. I have 4#nano on one pole last year, caught several fish including a 18" bass and a 24" northern with it,using minnows for crappie, no problems-- was tied direct to hook/jig. I have heard and seen several break offs reported, well not break offs but when using a leader the knot slips atthe nano and leader knot.

jigflinger
12-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Been using 4# Nanofil since it came out. Love the stuff. The only thing I'd change would be to make it easier to tie on a Fluoro leader to it. The stuff ties to jigs great with the double palomar knot. But it's sooooo slick, that it's time consuming when putting a leader on. Minor irritation.

MEATGETTER
12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
you wasted your money like i did!!!!!!! jigflinger remind me before our spring camp and i will give you a roll!!!!!!!!!!

no1son
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
You will see both extremes of opinion on the Nanoline. I took mine back to the store and got a refund. It needs to be kept under enough tension and the best results seem to be when you top dress a nearly full spool of mono with the stuff rather than fill the whole spool. IMO it is way overpriced for the messing around that I had to do. The weight lures I use don't begin to have it wind on the spool properly resulting in it biting into itself giving jerky drag releases, and that cost me a very good fish my first time using it.

IMO vastly overrated and over hyped.

goofy1
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I took it back and swapped it for 6 pound Suffix 854. thanks.

MEATGETTER
12-08-2011, 12:44 PM
wise choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waterboy1
12-08-2011, 05:53 PM
I used 4 and 6 pound vicious all summer on two rods, and loved it, but switched back to braid for spider rigging fall crappie. Had the line on a small spools and had very little issue with memory or line loops.

no1son
12-09-2011, 05:12 AM
It might well work for that. It seems to me to be a very expensive way to set up a spider rig, but I have no direct experience with them, since they are illegal up here in Minnesota. Up here we get one line and one hook at a time during the summer and even with the extra one available in the winter I normally have all that my attention can handle with just a single one through the ice, too, since I live on my flasher then for that one.

I normally fish only 1/32 and lighter jigs and often I purposely slack out my retrieves, getting a lot of my bite that way. I balance my line diameter to the offering in the process which is why I fish 2 and 4# tests. They balance out my jig presentations. The rest of my set up is balanced to provide the necessary cushion for those lines. There is no way I could get the proper tension on the retrieve to get an orderly wrap on my reel's spool. My fishing partner and I have used a similar diameter of Power Pro braid in our type of fishing without that problem.

I expect your spider rig more properly tensioned the line than my presentations did. I am not used to needing to take that into consideration. I would have to discard a very effective set of techniques to get any good out of it.

There is no question in my mind that Nanofil is not as limp as I am used to and so it is not as easy to manage. I will stay with GAMMA copolymer as my main line. It offers the proper balance of sensitivity and limpness for my presentations.

I come from NW Iowa which is the home to Berkley. Some family members even have had connections into the staff. Over the years I have found that one has to take some of their claims with a grain or two of salt. They certainly do or at least did, a large amount of careful research and product testing, but often the sales department has not warned the public about how specifically one must use many of their products. There is very often a catch that one must find out the hard way.

Nanofil must be fished under a constant amount of the proper amount of tension for the line size or it gets unruly on the spool, more so than any other line that I have tried in the proper diameters. That was not the way it was presented to me or I wouldn't even have tried it.

jigflinger
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Like I said before; I have used Nanofil exclusively since it came out. Bought my first spool at Cabela's in Minnesota. I have it on all 4 of my Shimano Stradic CI4 ultralight reels; as well as my sons 2 ultralights. The ONLY problem is trying to use a leader. 4# is so small and limp it is time consuming to tie the knot that is required with such small, slick line. We do most of our fishing casting jigs and pumping them back in (slacked out) in all kinds of weather from calm to so windy you couldn't launch a 1/8oz jig. Never had a single loop spring off the spools. I did, however, try some Fireline Crystal that was real stiff and wouldn't stay on the spool. The 4# nanofil is so small I have a hard time seeing it to tie the knot. But that's just me getting old.