Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Condos

In another thread someone mentioned that pvc condos needed to be in palce for a few weeks and have algae on them to work. That's just not so. I have had fish on them the next day after setting them out. The key is proper placement. You can't put them near natural cover and expect them to become crappie magnets. They are best placed in areas absent of natural cover. Older lakes with little or no cover are perfect. I've been using pvc for nearly ten years and have tried numerous designs. The ones Killers shows with the plastic hub will no doubt work. The problem will be finding them. Small diameter pvc does not show up real well on your electronics. If you don't have a GPS the small diameter condos "might" never be found again. These days I like to use at least 1 1/4" pvc. I like the spider condos made with gas pipe but they are a pain to transport and the material is hard to find. I like the pvc pipes stuck in a bucket of concrete pretty well. My favorite and the one I'm using the most these days have a concrete block base with a piece of 3/8" rebar concreted into one of the holes in the block. I use 3 10' pieces of 4" black drainage pipe for the limbs. I drill small holes in the pipe and slide it down on the rebar. After the limbs are on I bend the rebar at the top so they can't come off. Each tree is 10' in diameter yet I can haul 3-4 on my boat. I place 3-4 at each location either in a circle or in a line depending on the structure I'm placing them on.

Post Thanks / Like

i like your idea bart. i will have to give that one a try this winter
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default silly

Quote Originally Posted by Bart
    In another thread someone mentioned that pvc condos needed to be in palce for a few weeks and have algae on them to work. That's just not so. I have had fish on them the next day after setting them out. The key is proper placement. You can't put them near natural cover and expect them to become crappie magnets. They are best placed in areas absent of natural cover. Older lakes with little or no cover are perfect. I've been using pvc for nearly ten years and have tried numerous designs. The ones Killers shows with the plastic hub will no doubt work. The problem will be finding them. Small diameter pvc does not show up real well on your electronics. If you don't have a GPS the small diameter condos "might" never be found again. These days I like to use at least 1 1/4" pvc. I like the spider condos made with gas pipe but they are a pain to transport and the material is hard to find. I like the pvc pipes stuck in a bucket of concrete pretty well. My favorite and the one I'm using the most these days have a concrete block base with a piece of 3/8" rebar concreted into one of the holes in the block. I use 3 10' pieces of 4" black drainage pipe for the limbs. I drill small holes in the pipe and slide it down on the rebar. After the limbs are on I bend the rebar at the top so they can't come off. Each tree is 10' in diameter yet I can haul 3-4 on my boat. I place 3-4 at each location either in a circle or in a line depending on the structure I'm placing them on.
    What I am going to ask may sound silly to you, but. OK I fish deep water Ozark lakes. Could O put PVC pipe in a 2x4 or 4x4 and make condos? I need some thing that would float as I need to tie rope to them and the block to put out at the right depth. If I sink them in 100' of water they would not do much good, but if I tie 80' rope to a block and used a 16' 2x4 with PVC limbs and maybe fill some of the limbs with foam it should float, right? I can buy rough cut oak that is weather pretty cheap.

Think this would work?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I understand your last post. Are you wanting to suspend them at 80feet off the 100 foot depth. If that is them case would appear to me that they would be shifting around a lot which maybe good. A major problem would be if the rope broke it would create a major hazard to boat traffic. Interesting idea.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    Not sure I understand your last post. Are you wanting to suspend them at 80feet off the 100 foot depth. If that is them case would appear to me that they would be shifting around a lot which maybe good. A major problem would be if the rope broke it would create a major hazard to boat traffic. Interesting idea.
    guess you would need to use an no-rot rope.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead