PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Crappie Fisherman

amitchell
12-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Hello. I need some help. When it comes to crappie fishing I have no clue what to do. I can catch bass, bluegills, and catfish. But when it comes to crappie well...:confused: What is the best way to start getting an understanding how to go about it? I plan on waiting til the spring, cause I never been so much into the whole ice fishing. I know that the lake I fish on has them. Just don't know what to do. Any advice? Thank you and I hope everyone has a great holiday season.

huntinslabs
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Welcome from Florida. ya might want to try venturing down to the Indiana board and asking the guys there with a mention of what lake ya normally fish.

feelay
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
If ya wait til spring it should be easy to figure out, go shallow and drown minnows.

Roper Outdoors
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Hello. I need some help. When it comes to crappie fishing I have no clue what to do. I can catch bass, bluegills, and catfish. But when it comes to crappie well...:confused: What is the best way to start getting an understanding how to go about it? I plan on waiting til the spring, cause I never been so much into the whole ice fishing. I know that the lake I fish on has them. Just don't know what to do. Any advice? Thank you and I hope everyone has a great holiday season.

Hello amitchell. What lake do you fish on and how far is Patoka Lake from you?

Blackhawk19
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
If ya wait til spring it should be easy to figure out, go shallow and drown minnows.

X2

This thread also may help you figure out where to look for them.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archives-stuff-we-dont-want-loose/84702-crappie-degrees.html

deathb4disco
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Any advice?

Read.

This site is loaded with info. Pick a subject you want to learn about (spider rigging, long lining, vertical jigging, etc.), and read the forums. Make the "search" function your friend. :)

HLLeonard
12-07-2011, 08:05 AM
The hardest thing to come by it seems to me is confidence in what you are doing and fishing is no different... I believe crappie will hit a minnow on a more regular basis than the other baits you can use so I personally feel someone new to crappie fishing should use minnows for the most part until he builds some confidence in finding them and gains confidence in his ability to catch them... They might not be the most exciting bait to use but I do believe they are the most productive.

gabowman
12-07-2011, 08:08 AM
read.

This site is loaded with info. Pick a subject you want to learn about (spider rigging, long lining, vertical jigging, etc.), and read the forums. Make the "search" function your friend. :)x 2

Tracker123
12-07-2011, 01:29 PM
if ya wait til spring it should be easy to figure out, go shallow and drown minnows.

x3.

shipahoy41
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Welcome from Alabama. There is a stickie at the top of the forum called "knots and rig drawings for beginners". Might help you some.

crappiewisdom
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
where in Indiana are you? There are some differences in the type of lakes between the north and south part of the state that might change how you fish. Although drowning minnows in the spring seems to be about the same no matter where you're from.

skiptomylu
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/skip48_photos/Emotion Icons/welcome.gif From Toledo Bend Texas!

First I would say if you get some 1/32 Oz. Roadrunners or jigs of other style (I just like the RR's) and troll them with your troll motor next spring you should find the fish. Early before they get on the banks you can usually find them in water say 11' to 15' and can use that in this water and after they move in you can stay out in water say 6' to 10' trolling that same jig and catch fish. You have to see fish on your sonar though before starting. If you have a variable speed TM set it on about 3 to start and if you have a GPS you want to stay between .8 MPH and 1.2 MPH to catch them.

Remember the crappie will not feed down below their selves so at they depth or above.

Bob # 1
12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Welcome from Fort Wayne
:)

Here is a list of articles that sure to help you

Night fishing tips 101 (http://www.reel-lites.com/Articles.html)

for the loveofcrappie
12-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Patience,patience,and slow go! Confidence plays a major role. Nobody can teach you that! Goodluck! Remember not gonna learn it in one day. Figure out your on style and stick to it!

yankee doodler
12-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Find the bait fish and you'll find the slabs. What was said about using the search engine on the site is a great tip. Loads of info.

I've fished Missy, and Patoka both and there's some good fish in them both.

Oh, and welcome from west MI.

crappiedoc
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
You can read it all, but nothings better than experience. Find yourself a sensei (teacher) and respect him and all of his (advice, places, times, everything). Chip in or pay for it all, it will be far cheaper in the long run. Grow and try new things, share your experiences with him and you'll learn even more, you both will. Then on down the road when you see that "lost" face and your memory kicks in- pass it on. I have a couple myself, one ole fart I followed around like a stray dog, I was his shadow sometimes. Both of them are way past retirement, both of them are proud and I've surpassed their abilities. But that phone call "hey, fish are biting" turns them into kids again. I just can't describe the feeling, but it's really good. Good Luck

amitchell
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you all for the tips. I can't wait to for the spring to arrive. I live in hammond, and fish Wolf lake most of the time. I'll make my way down to willow slough or over to Pine Lake.

birddog one
12-18-2011, 08:21 PM
why wait til spring if your not iced in now is the time to load the boat

Tracy Swanson
12-18-2011, 08:29 PM
welcome to the board if you are waiting till spring start reading up on the angle you want to go after them and do it they all have some thing fun about them but i think longliling is the best way to me you can cover a lot of water and you can put some nice slabs in the boat to boot meat on the hook under a cork is the easy way over brush and around docks also fun

Slabs Inc
12-18-2011, 08:45 PM
"Bow to your sensei."

no1son
12-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Don't overlook local bait and tackle shops. They will often have the best and most current local advice.

Crestliner08
12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Get yourself some 1/16 oz. plain jig heads and a variety of colors of 2" curly tailed worms. Rig the tail on the jig, tail tip up, following the curve of the hook. Cast or troll the jig slowly along shallow, brushy structure (any variations in bottom contours) and you will get bit.

btw, WELCOME to the forum! :)