Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to spider rigging

What are good rods and reels to get, and what length? I am going to get a T-250-H with 4 Driftmaster rod holders. I have a 1436 jon boat with foot controlled trolling motor on the front.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on what you're comfortable with. The rod length change 2 things mainly;spread width and distance from the trolling motor. For the length of your boat I would think you wouldn't want more than 12' so they can be carried inside the boat when traveling. 10's might do fine also. It's fun, especially when it's busy and you can't hardly keep up with 3 rods. Good luck, some of these folks have done it lots more than me and will help you out.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I did mount some homemade vertical rod holders to carry rods while moving around. I was afraid they would get broke while moving in boat. Since boat is so small, I have to lay them down while casting.

Post Thanks / Like

i use capps & coleman 14ft with regular baitcasting reels and i love them in a smaller boat you might like the12s better , i use 8 at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    i use capps & coleman 14ft with regular baitcasting reels and i love them in a smaller boat you might like the12s better , i use 8 at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Same here.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

If you think 12's would work, buy 14's you won't be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same rod holder you're talking about on a 14' Pondtoon and I fish 2 12' in the center holders and 2 11' on each side. Works good for me.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be BnM Pro Staff Trolling Rods with Driftmaster T250HC these have the Gunslinger rod holders instead of the regular Driftmaster rod holders. Better for spider rigging. You need this length pole for shallow water fish in the spring. I have them all from 14 footers to 20 footers. Trust me go with the 14 footers and don't look back. They handle extremely easy. The Gunslingers give your hand more room to get the rod out of the rack more easily. Hear everyone talking about Hi Teks. May want to take a gander at them. Can not personally say either way on them. For reels I like the Crappie Maxx regular style baitcasting reels. Not the round kind. You can get them at Bass Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the info. Will give update when I get some.

Post Thanks / Like

The hi-tek rod holders IMO are the best on the market,and the service you get from Scott is awsome. He can make what ever you want to fit your boat and real easy to deal with. You can find them on his web site HITEKSTUFF.COM there you can see different sets and individual parts along with his prices. He goes by the name calshy on the forums here. Hope this helps and good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast