Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowing a trolling motor down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slowing a trolling motor down

I have a small boat that I would like to put a trolling motor on. I can't afford one of the variable speed motors and will use one of the stern mounts converted to a bowmount. Any way the smallest thrust I can find is 35lbs which will be way too fast for casting with the motor running. I don't want to put an on off switch in line, I feel that that makes too much noise. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the speed that you are trying to achieve ? below .5 and /or barely moving
    but on constant move (spider riggin style) or just a cast & return method, which a
    sculling paddle will handle depending on size of your boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default reply

I'd like to have it spider riggin style or slow enough to be able todip holes with a cane pole

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard can make that one work for you
    Luke:5
    6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a small sea anchor. you could even throw out a 5gal bucket or 2
    Last edited by 65pontiac; 12-05-2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add on

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luther View Post
    I have a small boat that I would like to put a trolling motor on. I can't afford one of the variable speed motors and will use one of the stern mounts converted to a bowmount. Any way the smallest thrust I can find is 35lbs which will be way too fast for casting with the motor running. I don't want to put an on off switch in line, I feel that that makes too much noise. Any ideas?

I got a 6volt battery and it worked perfect. Be careful the typ bat you get, weight can be a problem

You can also drop a 12volt to 6volt and that will work but you have to get big enough regulator to handel the amps.

What ever you do always check wiring for heat.

Go to google and put in "drop 12volt battery to 6volt" and you can find several options including 6volt batterys that look small, again the battery has to be rated big enough to carry the amps.

ejl

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago Minn-Kota made a Maximizer that would be perfect if you could fine one.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try pulling a drift sock and see how that works. Other than that maybe finding an old prop and begin cutting it down uintil you get the desired speed you want. I had an inline foot petal button I'd mash with my foot to "bump" along when I spider rigged off a boat I once owned. Wasnt noisy at all and did a fine job.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

downsizing to 6 volt is excellant idea.............again as EJL said check it out on
    Google for correct variations. but that should work.............myself, i used to use
    small drift sock at times and or the ole 5 gal bucket thing works, drill holes and give
    it a go......no adays, its called throwing chain......whereby, when wind is bad and
    we want to slow boat - put out a chain and drag it accordingly. with the style of
    freshwater lakes and growth factor within, does not hurt lake floor. most have a
    silt or clay/sandy combination.
    I use 15' chain 1.50" lengths - cut it into 3 sections - 3 ft - 5ft & 7ft, put snap
    hooks on each section so as they can be hooked together if needed. usually start
    with 3ft section with a drop rope, let out enough chain rope combination to almost stop boat, than
    use your trolling motor to get correct speed vs chain. Didn't ask you how big
    boat was but you will know once you start dropping chain how to control.

Post Thanks / Like

like 813 said. Chain. Its cheap...its easy. The more rope you let out the slower youll go.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast