Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blacknose in New Jersey?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Blacknose in New Jersey?

Got this guy the other day at a pond I just found and never got a Crappie in before. When I got a good look at him I almost fainted. (I read about the Blacknose etc. here last year but I never expected to SEE one.) It was the only Crappie I got there that day. That thing and the 7 lb Bass swimming around will soon get me back, even though I have a new job. Now, what is worth more, the job or the fish? Mmmmnnn. Please, someone help me with that question.....
    I will soon get in touch with NJ FGW to see if it is part of a stocking program or what the story is. I'll try to remember to get back here...
    Last edited by Pomoxis 2; 04-16-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a true black nose there my man...Or one of those Magnolia Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's an Arkansas Blacknose Crappie. Good picture too - I've had a hard time getting the mark to show that well when I've photographed them.

As I understand it more and more states are using the Blacknose variety of Black Crappie for stocking purposes because it gives them a good way of knowing later which fish are stocked and which are native.

We sometimes go several weeks without seeing one here and then one day like today will catch several.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry.. you hit it on the "nose". They can monitor the new fish alot easier. It also seems that those blacknose will out fight and inch for inch out wiegh most others. Some fish have found themselves stocked in places that the biologist never intended...i. e.. private stocking. I suspect that may be the case if that was the only crappie caught.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !