Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small Conservation Area Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small Conservation Area Lake

I went to Whiteside Lake today to try for a few crappie and the weather looked too unstable to drive to Twain. The water there was a good clarity and my depth finder said it was 68-70 degrees. I thought it was weird the water was that warm already. I haven't got a chance to fish much this year, let alone small lakes. I thought, maybe they were in the spawn mode but nothing shallow-then tryed jigging the deeper trees- nothing, then tryed slip bobbering about 6-8 feet down- still nothing. The wind was tough to work with and I ended up trying for a few bass. The question is- has anyone hit the spawn on a smaller lake like this yet? I don't know if the spawn already happened (judging by the temp) or if they still have yet to spawn and the water just warmed up really fast and the crappie haven't gotten their nads going yet. This lake is in Lincoln County and is T-motor only.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know exactly where that lake is, but maybe the thunder and lightning from Sat. may have shook em up...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Whitside Lake is north of Wentzville up 40/61- say about 30 miles or so- take a right on Highway Z and go about a mile and take a left at the Conservation sign. I kind of like the looks of it- it has standing wood and a dam with brushpiles placed along it. Has anyone run into crappie that acted like they were spawning in northeast MO?

Post Thanks / Like

Take a left at Z if you are going north.
    I agree the lake looks real good but I have only fished it with a boat once and didn't do too well, but it wasn't spring. I like to go there when I don't have enough time to drive to Mark Twain.

Good Luck
    N2

Post Thanks / Like

We filleted about 250 fish last week in So. Ill. and we only cleaned five or six crappie that still had eggs in them. The water temp was 73deg. This lake was a little deeper than Whiteside also. I was very surprised to see that water that warm also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2Crappie
    Take a left at Z if you are going north.
    I agree the lake looks real good but I have only fished it with a boat once and didn't do too well, but it wasn't spring. I like to go there when I don't have enough time to drive to Mark Twain.

Good Luck
    N2
    Duh- yep make that a left on Z- not Right.

BTW, Anyone ever fished Lincoln Lake in Troy for crappie (Cuivre Riover State Park)? It is a deep clear lake and bigger than Whiteside.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I caught a few 12" crappie in Lincoln Lake two years ago but I have only been back there in the winter time since then and just caught a few dinks.

Good Luck
    N2

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Lincoln Lake last summer with my ex-girlfriend and met an agent at the ramp. I asked about crappie and he said that their were very few caught and that If I caught any, to surely keep them. I never knew about the lake more than two years ago. Did their used to be any decent crappie fishing in it?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been hitting whiteside regularly for about 3 weeks now. I usually do ok there but have yet to catch a crappie this year!!?? Possibly the tornado sucked all the crappie out? Good excuse anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't catch a crappie there. My farm is on the other end of Highway Z, so I drive through Whiteside on my way back to O'Fallon. I swung by there Saturday and talked to a guy in the parking lot who said he saw some really big crappie caught out of it. Figires to be just your typical "dock talk" though. I haven't given up on it yet though...

But I will head up to Twain Saturday- it should be just...about...right...