Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snakes in boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default snakes in boats

Wow ,yesterday we had a snake get in our boat... My wife seen it coming toward the front of the boat, so i watched it and when it was at the boat i gave it a fling with my crappie pole away from the boat,, then he came back to the back of the boat,where she and my brother were at and got inside the boat under the gas lines and steering cables. I had to keep it there with my ore then pushed it back out.. Has this ever happened to anyone else??? by the way we had nine keeper crappies..

Post Thanks / Like

dinner ? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Not unless I had an open live well with fish odor wafting around or open fish laying around. The snake probably smelled (tasted) dinner (the nine Specks) in the air and wasn't going to stop until he got some. I hear of that happening a lot.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me once last year. It was a hot day. I was fishing under a bridge and heard some noise from the plastic bags next to my feet. My first thought was that it's a fish that got out of the cooler. It turned out to be big snake. I almost fell out of the boat when I saw it. I tried to flip it out, but that thing wouldn't want to go until I got nervous and hit it hard with the paddle.

Post Thanks / Like

Kads that would have ended my Wifes fishing. I seen it hapen to a buddy of mine we were pulled up beside each other talking, he was behind the sterring while and the snoke was in the sump I ask him how long he had ben riding that snake around he jumped up and I thought he was going to run off the bow of the boat. He ask me what I was going to do about the snake and I told hem that was his boat the snake was in not mine we finaly got him out. If you want to see some snakes they are at Clarks Marina on the Red River they are mostly large water snakes. When they are mating they are down thair by the thousands.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

If a snake is approaching your boat, take your cheapest rod and whack the crap outta it right behind its head. The snake will coil, and just drop out of sight. I used to wade many shallow creeks and snakes were always coming out to check me out. This has never failed. I have killed snakes by doing this. It really hurts them as it is one of the most vunerable areas of the snake. You would be amazed out just how much harm a good whack with your rod will do them. Try this next time one tries to invade your boat.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a lot of wadeing myself, and my favorite snake repellant is an old car radio antenna, the kind that is extendable. Over the years it has acquired a few kinks in it from whacking 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

A few years back a buddy of mine a i were fishing a slew in a swamp, A copperhead fell off a limb into the boat my buddy jumped out of the boat into the water, I told him you idot theres more snakes in the water than there is in this boat, about that time i was able to get the paddle under the snake and toss him out the other side, then told him See theres another one in the water he climbed back in faster than he got out if that's possible HEHE!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember back when I was a teenager me and a friend of mine were siting under some trees fishing and a green snake dropped out of the trees right on his rod and came down in his lap. I thought he was gonna break his neck. I laughed til I was sick. On another occasion when I was older a friend of mine caught a snake while we were loading up the boat to go home and he wanted to take it home to put in his yard. He stuck it in the live well and when we got back that snake had tried to get out the drain and got stuck. It took us forever to get that snake out.

Post Thanks / Like

Last summer while fishing on the South End of Blue Grass Pit in the Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife area I noticed a small banded water snake swimming towards my boat. I simply moved the boat out of the snakes way. You see he was just swimming across the pit to get to the other side and I was in his way. Once I moved out of his direct path to the other side of the pit he continued straight to the other shoreline. It's about 150 yards across the pit.

Here is a picture of the area. The snake came from the far shoreline. I marked the photo to show the approximate area where my boat was. I was fishing a drop off out from the East Shoreline. the snake was swimming from the far shoreline to the near shoreline I guess. I just happened to be in his way. When I moved my boat out of his way he just swam on by. Not once did he swim towards my boat or attempt to follow me. The area to the right of this picture (near shoreline) is full of small water snakes. They are there a lot in the evenings. This is the South Launch ramp on Blue Grass Pit. This picture was taken by me. These two guys were trying to launch a small john boat or canoe. I can't remember which. Lots of people use small boats on these pits. This pit is approximately 190 acres in size. To the south of this pit is another pit called Loon Pit which is about 210 acres in size. The state built this concrete platform for the handicapped. There is a concrete parking space off to the right of this picture for a handicap accessible van to park. One of my neighbors down the road uses this area. His legs are paralyzed. I saw him out on the road today in his wheel chair walking his dog (Radar). Big golden retriever that is very well trained. Dog is getting old though. I met my neighbor over at this pit last fall. He drove over there with the dog and was letting the dog swim around off the launch ramp. Fetching a stick or tennis ball. The dog won't shake until he is commanded to shake. I was very impressed with the training this dog had and the discipline that this dog possessed. I have never seen a dog come out of the water and not shake water all over the place. But this dog was commanded to not shake until the area was clear. Then he was allowed to shake the water off. Dennis has a pretty cool Golden Retriever and handicap helper dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-16-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast