PDA

View Full Version : Fish carcusses

HeyCharlie
12-02-2011, 03:06 PM
How do you dispose of carcuses after cleaning fish?
I have no "woods" to throw them in at this location :(

LBM
12-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Put the guts in plastic bag and keep them in the chest freezer until trash pick up day.

bdorman
12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Unlike some the master fisherman here, I only clean about 10-20 per week and sometimes a lot less.

So, I either:

1) bury them at our local community farm. I figure they make good fertilizer. Very surprised that I haven't found them dug up by critters.

2) freeze them and dispose of them on trash day.

Originally I tried double-bagging them and letting them sit in the trash can until collection day. That didn't work; smelled to high heaven even after double-bagging.

Pepop
12-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Put the guts in plastic bag and keep them in the chest freezer until trash pick up day.
+1 Don't even have to be a freezer. I have a small refrigerator in the garage that my "gut-bucket" fits in perfectly.

Dutch552
12-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I bury a lot fo them in my garden in the summertime> In wintertime the raccoons get to them before they are broekn down. Otherwise I will use the old plastic bag and deep freeze method as mentioned above. You can use as many bags as you want, if it isn't frozen there will be maggots in your can.

Mrs. Crappie Stalker
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
When I was a kid, we always buried them in the garden. We've tried that where we live now, but there are so many feral cats around here that they get dug up almost immediately. Luckily, we live in a rural area, so we now feed the raccoons and other critters in the woods not far from here.

huntinslabs
12-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Bury mine in the garden. I use post hole diggers and get em deep to not attract the bears.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I live in the country. So I just throw them in the garden. I don't even bury em.

skeetbum
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
One guy down this way freezes them in a wally bag and takes em to the lake and feeds the catfish with em next time he goes. I use the woods. He doesn't throw the bag in, just dumps the frozen guts.

Eager Beaver
12-02-2011, 07:33 PM
One guy down this way freezes them in a wally bag and takes em to the lake and feeds the catfish with em next time he goes. I use the woods. He doesn't throw the bag in, just dumps the frozen guts.

Some lakes it is against the law to throw carcasses in the lake. EB

Fatman
12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Freeze them and take them on the next trash day just like others here.

rnvinc
12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
My wife's flowers love the fertilizer...

Post hole diggers as close to the flower roots as I can get them...

Rickie

crappielimits
12-02-2011, 10:46 PM
We throw them in the lake or the woods.

gone fission
12-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Use everything but the squeal and bury em in the garden right next to the feral cats.

Blackhawk19
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
The coons in the woods behind my house love me Thumbs Up

SeaRay
12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Freeze them and take them on the next trash day just like others here.

And if you are forgetful like me you write yourself a note to take them out.Doh Otherwise the wife unpacks them a year later to see what is in there and ...well, just remember to throw them out.
SeaRay

NIMROD
12-03-2011, 06:50 PM
bury em in the garden right next to the feral cats.

Me too!Thumbs Up
Unless we use the cleaning station which has a disposal for carcases.Hands Clapping

HeyCharlie
12-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Have this on my dock at River place, but in city I have no place to put them. I guess the freezer thing is best
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x242/CharlieDavidson/004-21.jpg

Lowellhturner
12-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Fertilizer untill the "better half' was planting flower bulbs, now freezer to trash can method. Like to have NEVER heard the end of THAT 1...

G.Gordon
12-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Exactly what we do "IF" we aren't going fishing the next day. We have a lake a little way from the house, but I'm hesitant to throw guts from one lake into another. Easy nuff to have a trash bag in a 5 gal bucket, throw them in, close the bag, drop in freezer, drop in trash Wednesday morning.

G.Gordon
12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
My wife's flowers love the fertilizer...

Post hole diggers as close to the flower roots as I can get them...

Rickie

Actually, throwing raw fish, vegitation, etc. in a garden is not good. To break down the material, nitrates have to be exracted from the surrounding ground, this can stunt or even kill some plants.

Established plants like a flower/rose bush won't be as problematic, but don't do this in a seasonal garden like tomatoes, etc.

gabowman
12-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I give 'em to the coyotes.:o

beagle man
12-04-2011, 10:10 AM
usually take to the back of the 40, hang from tree then shoot the cats and coyotes and some times we just cook em up and have some pretty good chowder,and rice. but mostly just freeze like mentioned before or hang.

clock152
12-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I give mine to my Cuz.. he makes stink bait with them... alot of stink bait...LOL... we don't see eye to eye on catfishing...LOL

Shoemoo
12-06-2011, 03:22 AM
I live in an apartment, so they go in the dumpster.

EnonEye
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Actually, throwing raw fish, vegitation, etc. in a garden is not good. To break down the material, nitrates have to be exracted from the surrounding ground, this can stunt or even kill some plants.
Established plants like a flower/rose bush won't be as problematic, but don't do this in a seasonal garden like tomatoes, etc.
hmmm... I'm certainly not a scientist, just doing what I learned from dad but, I bury in the garden and have beutiful black dirt here in this land of what's normally clay. Also get great maters n cukes every year but I have noticed it takes a long time for them to break down. Last year when I turned over the garden in the spring I uncovered some still not completely composted yet from the previous fall and whewee... that was a nose full. Now I have to ask if it's taking that long for the fish to break down does is there any chance of some nasty harmful bacteria getting into the dirt and thus into my food from the garden?

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm no scientist either. Been throwing fish guts in our garden for 10 years. Got more tomato's and beans than we know what to do with every year. My wife has a Masters degree in Biology. She tells me to put the fish in the garden. I see no reason to stop doing it. Especially when we see other peoples garden who don't seem to be getting the yeilds we are.

crappie legend
12-17-2011, 10:02 PM
put in garbage bag and freeze till garbage pickup day.

birddog one
12-18-2011, 09:05 AM
x2 crappie legend

HeyCharlie
12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm no scientist either. Been throwing fish guts in our garden for 10 years. Got more tomato's and beans than we know what to do with every year. My wife has a Masters degree in Biology. She tells me to put the fish in the garden. I see no reason to stop doing it. Especially when we see other peoples garden who don't seem to be getting the yeilds we are.

Before "we" came here to Virginia, native americans used to put fish in thier gardens. As far as I know it still works here!

DENNIS WILLIS
12-18-2011, 12:01 PM
i ALSO FEED THE CATFISH AND TURTLES. JUST BE SURE TO PUT THEM IN DEEP WATER SO NO ANTI FISHERMEM DONT SEE THEM. I JUST THINK THEY DONT GO TO WASTE IF SOMETHING CAN FEED OFF THEM

Boone1
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I usually just put them into the lake at our Lake house. If that is illegal I need to know. They don't last overnight, the catfish and gar get them.

Willbreaku
12-19-2011, 02:42 AM
I asked the texas wildlife department they said dump back in the lake but not by ramps.