Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outfitting my Pamlico

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outfitting my Pamlico

Here is a shot of the bow of my Wilderness Systems Pamlico 12, with a nice speck for scale (I only let him hang by the jig for a second to take the picture):

I decided to buy a used kayak to get into yak fishing and found this one on c-list last weekend for $225. Took it to Lake Shelbyville here in central Illinois and it was perfect for shooting docks and getting a better angle on some bank fishing spots I like.

I added the pipe foam to pad my legs and it also works nicely to hang wet jigs when I'm crappie fishing. One question I have is how and where would be the best place to mount a rod holder. I'd like to start with one and work my way up to spider rigging. Since it's a sit in style, it should be easy enough to mount a rod holder about anywhere since I can get underneath to tighten the nuts, but I am worried about damaging the plastic, do any of you have a recommendation for a rod holder with a bottom plate or would washers be enough? Some kind of rubber washer work? Also, I'm thinking of mounting it on one side in front of the foam, any suggestions for or against that?

Also wondering how many of you use drift socks and if you all have any recommendations on which ones are a good value or if an anchor is the better way to go, at least for shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

1st nice crappie! secondly i favor wider stiffeners on the underside on my o.t. predator. and lastly, if its me, i'm spider rigging fron the start. i'd probably mount a slightly elevated bar across the front on which i'd mount the rod holders (hiteks). good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at some DIY holders that could allow a single holder to be swapped with a 4 rod holder if designed right.

Post Thanks / Like

i also use a pamlico i have made a deck on the front and use scotty rod holders i use 6 active lines and 2 stand by's with a 3.5 gallon live well that i designed it's hard to see through the rear rod holders but it's there
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow froggy, that's pretty impressive. Looks like you have several kinds of rod holders on there too. I like the deck idea under the front of the cockpit and the livewell would be great.

I went ahead and ordered a scotty rodmaster 2 from ack. I'll probably mount it where one of your two front side holders are, maybe a little farther forward. I like the flush mount holders behind your seat as well. Next I need to set up an anchor trolley and probably flush mounts behind the seat..

Do you use the livewell for bait or fish?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the live well for either and I would not move the side holders in the front any farther foward they are hard to reach when bundled up for cold weather an could shift back about 2" for my short arms and still clear the paddle area

I recomend clamping the rod holdr inplace an practice paddleand rod removal before a hard mount is done to do it over I would not do the vertical flush mount tubes again they tend to get in the way and have zero adjustment ram mounts are nicer because they are infinately adjustable scotty's are not They are adjustable but not as much I own alot of the
    and to but 20 or so more holders is tomuch $ for me to toss right now so the scotty's will stay I never use my anchor trolley where I fish I like a little movement while spider rigging I even scroll with a small cypress paddle to keep the move going the slow fish hit as the boat moves like the bait is leaving and the don't want to miss rhe meal so they strike I would be more than happy to share any info on my experiences with rigging before you take to cutting

Quote Originally Posted by 1jkemp View Post
    Wow froggy, that's pretty impressive. Looks like you have several kinds of rod holders on there too. I like the deck idea under the front of the cockpit and the livewell would be great.

I went ahead and ordered a scotty rodmaster 2 from ack. I'll probably mount it where one of your two front side holders are, maybe a little farther forward. I like the flush mount holders behind your seat as well. Next I need to set up an anchor trolley and probably flush mounts behind the seat..

Do you use the livewell for bait or fish?

Post Thanks / Like

That is some good information. I'm glad you mentioned clamping and testing the rod holder because I would not have thought of that, but it's a great idea. I can also see what you mean about the flush mounts, once you place them they are there forever.

I would be interested to learn how you built your front deck. Does it hang from the cockpit or did you drill it in? Also, did you use bolts with washers and nuts on your rod mounts?

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what froggywaters said, be sure to leave enough clearance for your legs. Just in case you do overturn, you don't want your bar/mount for the rod holders to impede your escape. It is freaky enough to be upside down and underwater, no need to have something to snag on your way out.

Post Thanks / Like

i used a cutting board from wal mart as my front deck Name:  069.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  52.6 KByou can see the stainless hard ware in this pic the side holders i wish were a little farther back but they will have to do for now my next yak is on the way and i have differnt plans in mind but very similar end result

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my crappie yak
    Name:  clear creek 2.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  29.9 KB
    probably caught about 500 this year from this thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast