Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How long will they last?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long will they last?

I'm interested on hearing how long some of the "natural" materials used in building crappie structures have lasted before they have had to be added to.

I used to be able to get cypress slabs which I ripped into 2 inch square stakes. I caught some nice sized crappie just the other day out of one of these stakebeds. I think I built this bed in '98. The stakes seem as sturdy as the day I put them in.

I've heard that oak will last about 10 years. I don't know how long pine will last but I figure it's not as long as hardwoods.

I'm thinking about driving some larger diameter bamboo in as stakes. They would definately be easier and cheaper to get. I just don't know how long they would hold up compared to wood.

Let's hear from some of you guys that have been building beds for a long time now as to what materials have lasted longer for you.
    Last edited by slabbandit; 04-16-2006 at 12:24 PM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

i have access to unlimited boo but trying to switch everything over to strictly PVC.

Post Thanks / Like

Slab
    Up North we dont have access to boo.The best Ive found is Hedge.That stuff lasts about 10 yrs.Oak runs a close second.Willow you have to replace every other year, but its more readily available.

Post Thanks / Like

Hedge Is The Best Wood In Missouri, But I Think Pvc Makes
    A Better Source Of Cover And Attractor.

Chef

Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys calling hedge? And would river cane work the same as bamboo?

Post Thanks / Like

Hedge Ball trees.I dont know how far south they grow, also referred in Mo. as Ozark Orange.They planted them in fence rows up North years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

could be they're talking about Boise-De-
    arc or bodock as it is called here in ms. it's sometimes referred to as Osage Orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Bodock is Osage Orange............ Moc-Orange is another name. Dang hard wood and makes a great bow. The real American Indians use to make them from this tree.

I kick up a piece wading in the Pearl one time that was water-logged. I took it home and dried it and it looks like I just cut from a live tree. I don't think water does any type of damage to this wood.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

yea and a paddle made from bodock will whup alot of butt over the years and aint the worst for the wear either. My old shop teacher had one and to this day My butt still remembers the singing that wood could do.