Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help planning a trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help planning a trip

So I'm looking for a fishing trip for me and my 15 yr old. We live in Alabama and fish mostly crappie at Neely Henry and Weiss lake, I want to do something different and create a lasting memory,but of course on a budget....somewhat. We have also trout fished in Ky and Tn, as well a couple party boat tours in the gulf but the party boats were kinda a joke. Looking for suggestions on a trip that's drivable, not Alaska .... California .....or new York, but I figure 10 - 12 hours would be the max. And if I could incorporate a kayak, it would be iceing on the cake! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I forgot, timing is within the next 9 months....

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for an adventure type trip, I'd look at Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

On a budget maybe a tour of Florida. Stop in Dunellon and padddle the Rainbow River, venture down and paddle the trails in the Everglades with an overnight stay on one of the Chickie huts, then down to the keys and paddle some prestine flats for bonefish and permit, then migrate up and fish the no motor zone of the Mosquito lagoon and then maybe stop and paddle the Sawanee river and then make a stop at Talquin on the final leg. Or if ya want to go really wild go to louisiana with a good GPS and paddle the Atchafalaya basin. Heck man that could be a lot of fun and a lot of great Memories whatever ya end up doing. Make sure whatever ya do post up some pics afterwards.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the no motor zone near port Canaveral. Redfish and Seatrout are there all the time, and wintertime is a real good time for a big seatrout. New Smyrna Beach area has some back country that holds fish and is more out of the wind. Lots of springs in central FL to kayak also, and the manatees will be in the springs themselves thru the winter. Camping in the Ocala national forest is free for 2 week stretches, check with the forestry service. Lots of good stuff pretty close together.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Pool 4 on the Mississippi around Red Wing , MN in the spring . Walleye Crappie Smallmouth fishing . Beautiful country . Several campgrounds in the area .

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do one close to home have you thought about striper fishing on Lake Lanier GA. That close to home you could afford a few extra days. I have no idea when is the best time for them.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 11-28-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Take him for a week of camping/fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!