Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie and Craws??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie and Craws??

Has anyone ever cleaned a crappie that had a crawfish in it? Has anyone ever had crappie puke craw in the live well? Does anyone switch to a craw bait when crappie are holding on the bottom?
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been one to inspect the insides, but I know that the crawfish colored cranks catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

When they draw down the lakes here in the fall to winter pool, they are absolutely full of them as the craws retreat to deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dutch552;1708364]When they draw down the lakes here in the fall to winter pool, they are absolutely full of them as the craws retreat to deeper water.

My home lake is about 9' below normal and the crappie are holding close to the bottom. Makes me wonder even more now.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crawdads

I know for a fact that crappie eat crawfish. The interesting thing is, nearly everyone who is anyone in the crappie world says"Crappie wont feed down." BS
    So they dont eat crawfish? Of course they do. And they feed down to eat them. Anyway.
    About 5 years ago one fall day I was catching crappie from the rip-rap lining the lake. Just hopping a jig across the rocks. I was fishing at a campground, and a lady came walking by above the rip-rap, and she had 3 little boys playing along the waters edge. I stopped fishing to let them go by. One of her boys said,"Heres another one" and brought to his mother a crawfish, which she was saving for them in a coffee can. After surveying the situation, The boys were turning over rocks at waters edge, and picking up crawfish. I asked how many the boys had caught, and their mother said, well this coffee can is nearly full and I dont know what to do with them.
    LESSON LEARNED!!! In the fall when the crappie and white bass are {ON THE ROCKS} they are feeding on crawfish. Many times I have fished rip-rap from a boat and caught fish right at the waters edge. They also are feeding on shad blown up on the rip-rap, but also crawdads.

The first crappie I ever caught was on a crawfish from a strip pit in about 1976. My uncle and I seigned a small sink hole and had a half bucket of crawfish and we were going blue gilling. I remember pulling that crappie out of the water and asking "What is that thing??????? I was 6 years old and had never seen a crappie. I was hooked.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I've never caught one with a crawfish in it's gullet but I have now doubt they would eat them

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I've never fished a craw bait, but the next time I can't buy a fish off wood and the crappie are right on the bottom don't think I wont. Last Sunday I pulled up on one of my hot spot brush piles and the first flip I had a slab and he smoked it. So, I'm thinking "Its On." Three wood piles and two hours later I still only had one fish in the box. Finally found some fish right on the bottom and caught a few. Tough day, and it got me thinking.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If they will bite plastic why not crawfish?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

The rule around here for fall bass during the drawdown is an orange color craw crank such as the deep diving Rebel craw. I was amazed at how many crappies and whites I would pick up during this presentation. When trolling for crappies and walleyes all year, craw colored cranks are consistent producers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch552 View Post
    The rule around here for fall bass during the drawdown is an orange color craw crank such as the deep diving Rebel craw. I was amazed at how many crappies and whites I would pick up during this presentation. When trolling for crappies and walleyes all year, craw colored cranks are consistent producers.
    I have caught Saugeye and White Bass this year pulling Rebel Craws... I am not sure, but I may have also caught a Crappie, but this was summer time... I guess I need to try it now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast