PDA

View Full Version : Crappie and Craws??

Slabs Inc
11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Has anyone ever cleaned a crappie that had a crawfish in it? Has anyone ever had crappie puke craw in the live well? Does anyone switch to a craw bait when crappie are holding on the bottom?

filletfetish
11-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I've never been one to inspect the insides, but I know that the crawfish colored cranks catch fish.

Dutch552
11-26-2011, 07:52 PM
When they draw down the lakes here in the fall to winter pool, they are absolutely full of them as the craws retreat to deeper water.

Slabs Inc
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Dutch552;1708364]When they draw down the lakes here in the fall to winter pool, they are absolutely full of them as the craws retreat to deeper water.

My home lake is about 9' below normal and the crappie are holding close to the bottom. Makes me wonder even more now.

barrelslime
11-26-2011, 08:19 PM
I know for a fact that crappie eat crawfish. The interesting thing is, nearly everyone who is anyone in the crappie world says"Crappie wont feed down." BS
So they dont eat crawfish? Of course they do. And they feed down to eat them. Anyway.
About 5 years ago one fall day I was catching crappie from the rip-rap lining the lake. Just hopping a jig across the rocks. I was fishing at a campground, and a lady came walking by above the rip-rap, and she had 3 little boys playing along the waters edge. I stopped fishing to let them go by. One of her boys said,"Heres another one" and brought to his mother a crawfish, which she was saving for them in a coffee can. After surveying the situation, The boys were turning over rocks at waters edge, and picking up crawfish. I asked how many the boys had caught, and their mother said, well this coffee can is nearly full and I dont know what to do with them.
LESSON LEARNED!!! In the fall when the crappie and white bass are {ON THE ROCKS} they are feeding on crawfish. Many times I have fished rip-rap from a boat and caught fish right at the waters edge. They also are feeding on shad blown up on the rip-rap, but also crawdads.

The first crappie I ever caught was on a crawfish from a strip pit in about 1976. My uncle and I seigned a small sink hole and had a half bucket of crawfish and we were going blue gilling. I remember pulling that crappie out of the water and asking "What is that thing??????? I was 6 years old and had never seen a crappie. I was hooked.

Blackhawk19
11-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I've never caught one with a crawfish in it's gullet but I have now doubt they would eat them

Slabs Inc
11-26-2011, 08:36 PM
I've never fished a craw bait, but the next time I can't buy a fish off wood and the crappie are right on the bottom don't think I wont. Last Sunday I pulled up on one of my hot spot brush piles and the first flip I had a slab and he smoked it. So, I'm thinking "Its On." Three wood piles and two hours later I still only had one fish in the box. Finally found some fish right on the bottom and caught a few. Tough day, and it got me thinking.

NIMROD
11-26-2011, 08:49 PM
If they will bite plastic why not crawfish?

Dutch552
11-27-2011, 01:15 AM
The rule around here for fall bass during the drawdown is an orange color craw crank such as the deep diving Rebel craw. I was amazed at how many crappies and whites I would pick up during this presentation. When trolling for crappies and walleyes all year, craw colored cranks are consistent producers.

Lou
11-27-2011, 03:19 AM
The rule around here for fall bass during the drawdown is an orange color craw crank such as the deep diving Rebel craw. I was amazed at how many crappies and whites I would pick up during this presentation. When trolling for crappies and walleyes all year, craw colored cranks are consistent producers.

I have caught Saugeye and White Bass this year pulling Rebel Craws... I am not sure, but I may have also caught a Crappie, but this was summer time... I guess I need to try it now!

MAINEIAC
11-27-2011, 06:52 AM
I have cleaned Crappie with 3 or 4 good size crawfish in their stomachs. I also have caught Crappie on a tube jig laying on the bottom. Crawfish are not their primary food but they will eat them.

CrappiePappy
11-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I've caught Crappie on crawfish colored cranks, and even caught one big Black Crappie (~2lbs) on a 4" plastic craw (when bass fishing) Doh and quite a few on a 1.5" plastic craw (on a jighead) ... so, yeah, they'll eat a craw or a worm or a bug if they can't find a Shad or minner species to munch on !!

IMHO - As to the "Crappie never go DOWN to eat" phrase... the optimum word there is "never". While they are physically suited to feed on what's ABOVE them (eye position), they can & will dive short distances for a meal. So, technically, the phrase should be "Crappie seldom go DOWN to eat". If they're already on the bottom, or very close to it, feeding on something crawling around on the bottom is really not the same as diving after something below them (when well off the bottom).

... cp :cool:

huntinslabs
11-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Yes I have found em full of crawfish, bugs and shrimp, and yes I have changed up and started bumbing bottom to catch em.

beagle man
11-27-2011, 08:59 AM
maby the crawfish swam up and away and the crappie ate it,,,,

MEATGETTER
11-27-2011, 10:11 AM
i have caught a lot with crawfish in their stomach mostly in oxbow lakes in the spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G.Gordon
11-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Probably not a good indicator, but we've caught them on the Rebel Teeny Craw cranks. That could just be a fish eating something swimming through the water without actually hitting it as a crawfish... know what I mean?

efdavis
11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
They will eat crawfish also baby frog in north La. Don't know about anywhere else.

no1son
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
We catch a lot of crappies on the bottom on crawfish colored tube patterns, summer and winter. Haven't used a minnow in years. We always check out the bottom (and the layers going down to it too, of course). In the winter we have had crappies that wouldn't bite anything unless it came up from below them. We see some of that on the docks in the summer, too. One of our most effective retrieves is a dead slow crawl across the bottom. Wintertime spikes and waxies generally ourfish minnows, actually some use tiny bits of raw shrimp with significant success then, too. We have mostly black crappies around here and we find them on the bottom a whole lot of the time.

yellowjacket
11-27-2011, 02:38 PM
find them all the time in the spring summer and fall with crawdads in there stomach and yes i have used a craw colored tube jig

Lowellhturner
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Many times when fishing 1'- 1 1/2' crayfish for gills will catch BIG crappies in the fall. In the "Cover' threads am going to try to place several rubble piles littered with 3 and 10 hole red bricks which are small crayfish MAGNETS. As a teenager remember watching a smallmouth bass "eyeing" these 10 hole bricks and then apparently eating something. Out of curiosity walked over and picked 1 up and out fell 3 small `dads. Put the brick back, and a short time later watched a crappie do the exact same thing, sucking those crayfish from the holes! Imagine 1000 of those bricks on a rubble pile in 10 fow. Would think might be a good bass spot too.

crappie_dan
11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
One day this past spring after taking a limit out of my livewell it was full of crawdad pinchers. Those crappies were full of craws when I cleaned them.

Jameslin
11-29-2011, 03:36 AM
I use the southern pro plactic craws and do very well at time

no1son
11-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Is there a difference here between black and white crappies?

Most of the crappies I take are blacks and I take a whole lot of them from off or near the bottom and often in very specific spots possibly as more or less resting fish that are willing to take a graze at something that may fall or wander almost right into their mouths.

skiptomylu
11-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Well when it's spring and if this lake is stained a bit more than usual I do very well with a hot orange tail and don't see anything that would make me think they are not targeting a craw. Here is a picture of what I used and one had a chart head and the other had A Flame Red head.

Skip

ONly difference is I was using a Roadrunner (1/32)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/Hand Tied Jigs/DSC00419A.jpg

Micropterus salmoides
11-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Craw jigs and even those with like colors tear em up on river here in SE La.
Spring blacks are slap full of em. Trick is matching the size and hue.

I used to use this

Im gonna tie some jigs for spring which should be challenging. I want to tie some for early spring,daaaaark green with some brown or darker highlights. Imma try black and a burnt org or rusty red highlight when the water temps increase.

dandeman
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
My son and I caught some nice crappie on Zoom Speed Craws while bass fishing a river this past spring.